1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody at the Senior Bowl?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Used to use it as an excuse to ignore college basketball and eat oysters for a week, but haven't been in a couple of years ...

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Do newspaper's actually ever really send anyone to the Senior Bowl? If you have to talk to a player you would just talk to them before they leave or when they come back.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's a good place to go and get NFL opinions on players. Just about anyone who's anyone is there at some point during the week.

And if you're an NFL beat writer, that's the place to be if your team is in the middle of a coaching search. It's an unofficial NFL convention.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It would have been worth being there, if only to see security toss Ed Orgeron out of a workout because he didn't have a credential.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

(Looking around me...)

Nope, I wasn't there either.

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I watched a few series on the NFL Network.
    Does that count?

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That South huddle last series looked like an SEC showcase.
    I counted 8 SEC helmets, one from Louisville and a few more.

Greatest football conference in the nation.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

My shop still sends the beat guy, but he doesn't cover the game. Just goes to the workouts and follows local/state players and gathers info to prepare for the draft. I'm not sure you can just talk to the players before they go or afterward. Well, you could, but the coaches' opinions are what count. And it's definitely a good place to be if your team's in the market for coaches.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm just wondering what information HejiraHenry was looking for.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, and I'm still not there.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I thought about it back in June, decided against it.

OK.

I didn't really think about it back in June, either.

12. micke77

micke77 Member

SportsNut...i've wondered the same thing. I've been to two Senior Bowls in my career and it was for covering guys from our area. Honestly, it could have been done before they left or via telephone once they got there. What I did most of the time in Mobile was get a bunch of notebook material and talk to scouts, player personnel directors, coaches for evaluations of our guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted