1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody at the All-Star Game?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The main press box is barely inside the ballpark.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

what's the weather situation?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I remember the Tigers announcers talking about that when they were there. The press box is WAY WAY up there.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it's not raining yet...

i hear it gets pretty bad in the first two rows when it's raining -- well, luckily i'm in the third row.

don't think that'll help those poor bastards in the aux box

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

thanks for checking in hoops.
    what's on the pressbox menu, because I know that's where you spent most of pregame.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, I can tell you this...
    The Fox/ESPN/MLB International catering tent in the broadcast compound gets 2 thumbs up from me.

;D

How were the boxed lunches for the rest of you?

7. HoopsMcCann

just walked back to the hotel, didn't get a boxed lunch. haven't eaten since the bbwaa meeting a noon

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is j-dub the pimp there, working his corners?

9. HoopsMcCann

nah, was baseball -- so it was poz

10. HoopsMcCann

i will forever refer to pittsburgh as 'the town without taxis'

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Really weird town for cabs. Couple of years ago, team PR guy jumps in one of many cabs lined up outside hotel and tells the guy he's going to the ballpark. Cabbie says, "I'm only taking airport trips." Major argument ensues, with much swearing.

It's not a bad walk back to the hotels from the ballpark, but the streets seem to be a little funky in a deserted kind of way. You have the feeling you could be robbed and killed, and the body wouldn't be discovered until morning rush hour.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I've always been amazed at the cab situation in that city. Plant yourself in front of the hotel where the team stays, make 5-6 quick round trips to the ballpark in an hour, get tipped at a percentage far beyond what's normal because it's such a short ride. Or you can use that hour and sit, idling, in front of the hotel, wasting gas, going nowhere and wait another hour or two for one airport ride.

I've literally almost gotten into screaming matches with those guys pointing out that little bit of obviousness.

Even though funky, the ballpark is walkable during the daytime. But if it's a warm summer afternoon, and you're loaded down with a heavy laptop bag (and most bbl writers are pretty loaded down), you're a dripping mess when you get there.

Draft saved Draft deleted