1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any woodworkers out there?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 1, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I'll echo the sentiment about cheap tools. Not worth it. Lowe's and Home Depot have some good deals. I've seen some companies that package power tools in a set to make it easier.

A good starter project is a workbench. There are a lot of free plans available online. I used this one (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/Workbench.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHowTo) from Lowe's Project Center. Cost about $100 in wood and hardware. I've made a couple of them and they're very sturdy.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks.

3. three_bags_full

I went to my mom's today, and my stepdad loaded me up with tools left by the contractor who bolted before the job was done. A table saw, miter saw, two sawhorses, a jigsaw and a set of drill bits. Went to my father-in-law's place and he gave me a router. Now all I need's a sander, and I'm in business, baby.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

That's awesome.

I know you're weapon-trained and can kill a man with your thumb, but be be especially careful with the router. Of all power tools I've worked with, it's the the one that seems many underestimate.

5. three_bags_full

Thanks for the warning, sleeper.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I just now visited this thread, and I knew there'd be a post like this. I just thought it would be from BYH.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You've been woodworking lately. But, we digress.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Table saw. Use the guides. Never take the guides off the table saw.
    Think Ronnie Lott, but worse.

9. three_bags_full

Completed my workbench about 95 percent, today. I still have to put the rails on the side of the counter top and bolt the top to the leg assembly.

Took me about five hours to get tho that point, including a couple hours of glue-drying.

Next up: bookcase.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Great to hear. Once the tool bench is finished, you might want to consider attaching a vise.

Good luck on those bookcases!

11. joe

joe Active Member

Or, better yet, use a vise.

Edit: Oh, hell, that was just mean.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Duh. Fixed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted