1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any woodworkers out there?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 1, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I picked up a very nice table saw and some other tools at home auctions. They're boring (to me, but MrsExpendable loves them), and you might sit for a few hours only to come away with nothing, but it all became well worth it when I got my saw at a good price.

2. KG

KG Active Member

DeWalt is a good brand choice for something in between the cheap crap and the top gear.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Bosch is also good, as is Milwaukee. They're gonna be more expensive than your Black & Decker Firestorm stuff, but they also have more torque and will last longer if you take care of them.

If you buy the right tools, they'll last you damn near a liftime. If you buy crap, you're going to constantly need to replace it. And if you decide woodworking isn't for you, better tools have better resale value.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take shop from anyone.:)

Seriously, owning a house has forced me to learn the basics of woodworking -- and many other handy skills. I'm contemplating rhe particulars of a room-width, full height bookshelf for the den, my first big project outside door and window trim. Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

Oh, and wear your safety glasses.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Others have said it, but think safety when you're starting out. Beyond not sleeping on the table saw, always wear safety glasses when you're cutting or sanding. Loose sawdust in the eyes is not too pleasant. And the first time you snap a jigsaw blade, you'll be glad you have something on even if it comes nowhere near your eyes.
    Also, make sure the work space is well-ventilated. If you start putting varnish or stain on furniture, the fumes can get to you pretty quickly.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing varnish.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Hmm ... dad and I never wore goggles or any eye protection.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Apparently he never wore protection when he should've. ;)

ba dum bumb ... tssst

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Three things to remember:

'New Yankee Workshop,' Norm Van Abram and biscuits.

10. KG

KG Active Member

My husband does commercial cabinetry and millwork. He's produced some mighty fine looking pieces.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I sliced open my right pinky on a ban saw when I was in 11th grade. Shop class. Stoners, longhairs, malcontents, and me, always somewhere inbetween. I was making an ashtray for my mother.

Got three days off from skool. I remember Von Hayes going apeshit on the Cubs during an opening series at Wrigley. And mama babying me with cake and Gatorade.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I ran my finger into a bandsaw once during shop class. Some guy was fucking with me while I was working on a project.

Draft saved Draft deleted