1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any woodworkers out there?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a shop class I took in eighth grade. We made all kinds of funky stuff — a wooden lamp, a bird figure, a wooden belt buckle, even an adjustable table you could raise up and down. We had all the gear, too — lathes, routers, band saws, table saws. Good times.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Reminds me of the Beavis and Butthead episode in which they send anything and everything through the table saw before Beavis touches the saw with his finger. Of course, then Butthead uses Beavis' chopped-off finger to pick his nose. Damn, that's classy cartooning right there.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The tools from there suck, suck, suck. They're mostly cheap Chinese-made knockoffs.

They might be OK if you're starting out in a hobby and don't want to spend too much. I go there when I'm doing a project and need a tool I know I won't be using again for months, if not years.

But once you get hooked on it, buy the best tools you can afford. Go here for the good stuff ... http://www.garrettwade.com/

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I prefer Home Depot.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice, folks. A couple of points have been brought up that I hadn't thought about.

Tools were the first things I thought about. I ran by a few pawn shops today to try and find some decent used stuff. That way I could have much less invested in a hobby I'm not so sure about. I found some decent tools, a jig saw and router that looked to be in pretty good shape and a ton of hand sanders.

My folks went through a home remodel recently. The contractor, who'd already been almost completely paid, skipped town before finishing a couple of the smaller job. Basically, the work left to be done was worth more than he had left to be paid. He left several tools, including a new Dewalt table saw that I'm picking up on Saturday.

6. three_bags_full

I have a decent sized storage room that I could rearrange to accommodate the hobby. And we're not talking about large pieces, just yet. Bookshelves, wine racks and picture frames.

*Note to self: workbench*

7. three_bags_full

Just bought The Complete Idiot's Guide to Woodworking. It should be here by Friday or Saturday and give me a better idea as to what I really need as far as space and tools.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Why? We're not complete enough idiots for you?

9. three_bags_full

Touche.

I had great luck with the cooking version, and am hoping for the same here.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I hear Mike311gd has worked a lot of wood the last couple of years.

11. three_bags_full

Don't know much about Mike's sex life. Sorry.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just his own, sir. Just his own.

Three-bags: There's not much to know, if anything at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted