1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any woodworkers out there?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 1, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of picking up a few projects, here and there. Toy box for the kid, bigger bookshelf, maybe a wine cabinet, a shelf to hold keys and coats by the door, that kind of stuff. Maybe something larger down the road, like a big china cabinet.

I think it'd be satisfying, and it'd get me off the couch -- something that needs to be done anyhow.

Any tips? Advice?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just be patient. If you've never done something like this before, don't expect for everything to go smoothly. And if you've done something like this before, don't expect everything to go smoothly.

Save any usable -- bigger than scrap, so long as they're not warped or splintered -- pieces of wood because you never know what you can make with them and save money along the way.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Measure twice multiple times, cut once.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

This has gotten me through a few assorted projects.

Woodworking + Beer = Cool

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I started with Woodworking for Dummies. Had to start somewhere.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thought you were gonna be busy with baby on the way and flight school, TBF?

7. three_bags_full

But I'll need something to take my mind off school -- a weekend hobby, I guess. Nothing serious.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Just stay away from the Skill saw after crushing a few cans. Hammer, OK. Hand-saw, OK. Power saw, No.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [/Dooley_Womack]

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

When I was 17, my dad helped me build a sub woofer box for my car. It was good times.

He used to build all sorts of shit.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My dad does that kind of thing, too. He just built me a pair of nightstands for my bedroom as Christmas presents.

12. three_bags_full

That's really all I want to do, right now. Build small things for the kid, the house and friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted