1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any updates on the people from the papers that folded?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, May 6, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Other than Dave Krieger being picked up by the Denver Post, does anyone know if any of the sports people from the RMN, the Seattle PI or any of the other papers that have folded (Cincy Post etc...) have found jobs?

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Not a sports person, but a former co-worker who moved on to the PI as a designer recently hung her shingle as a wedding and portrait photographer in the Seattle area.

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

We could use some feel good stories on this site.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jeff Legwold is doing some freelance work for FoxSports.com.

Latest offering here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9539992/Biggest-high-risk,-high-reward-picks-of-%2709-draft

A Rocky sports desker had a job lined up in Colorado Springs (news-side) before the Scripps cave-in/going into the fetal position and has been there for nearly two months.

Rocky sports Web producer is working at a golf course. Another desker starts at a golf course this week.

Drew Litton is doing some work for a TV station in town and his Web site is going pretty good. DrewLitton.com

I've got two nonsports freelance gigs that I do between looking for jobs that don't exist/don't have a shot at/are getting applications from 100-plus other people.

I saw a handful of sports people at the union meeting last week when the severance package was presented/ratified and it was the same thing:

Me: How you doing?
    Former co-worker: Oh, you know
    Me: Yup. How's the job search going?
    Former co-worker: Oh, you know. About the same as it is for you.

5. Mizzougrad96

I'm still stunned The Denver Post hasn't hired Drew Litton.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be. That would involve Lean Dean Singleton actually spending money on personnel.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah... There's some amazing available talent in Denver now, but Litton is the elite. If there is a better sports cartoonist, I've never seen it.

Then again, I could say the same thing about Jeff Legwold, Tracy Ringolsby and Butch Brooks among other writers.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

winner winner.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Chris Tomasson, the Rocky's excellent Nuggets writer has been freelancing for NBA.com, CBS Sports and USA Today. I saw his byline on a DMN story too.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not to hate on Chris Tomasson, but does that imply that the DMN didn't go to Denver for the Mavericks series? That would be insane.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

DMN was there -- Sefko, Moore and Taylor. They just used a freelancer as an extra body for Nuggets-angle notes or sider.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Got to love the freelance rates that most newspapers, even the big boys, pay.

You'd better be on severance, scholarship, trust fund, pension or a spouse's dole if you're going to still be able to eat.

Draft saved Draft deleted