1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any truth to this, NBA guys?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fmrsped, Nov 6, 2006.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

From ESPN's Daily Dime. ...

"Jim (Jackson, MS): Everyone seems to be handing LeBron James the MVP. I won't argue he may be the best player (like Kobe last season) but I still don't see enough pieces on the Cavs for a strong run. Your opinion?

Chris Sheridan: Agreed, Jim, to a point. Damon Jones and David Wesley would have been a couple of nice pieces to have two or three seasons ago, but not anymore. A big key will be what they get out of Larry Hughes, and whether he finally stays healthy.

I've heard second-hand that the Cavs have banished beat reporter Brian Windhorst to the upper deck, which is shameful. The guy has been covering LeBron James since LBJ was in 9th grade, and now you're going to make him sit 300 feet away from the biggest megastar Akron, Ohio has ever produced? Absurd."

I know there's little room at the scorer's table for media at The Q, I think there's just radio/TV guys down there and a few beat guys, but I thought Cleveland/Akron (Branson Wright/Windhorst) were always down there. Other media have a section in the second deck. ... So why would Windhorst be booted?

Anyoen have any insights?

2. CoopGator

CoopGator New Member

Radio is already upstairs in Cleveland. This was before 17 other teams decided to also send radio off the floor. TV is the only one that will always remain on the floor. I haven't checked to see how many print people remain on the floor, but many already are watching the games from corners or the baseline and often times well back from the floor. It's crazy, but it's no secret why it's being done. Don't think we need to spell it out, do we?

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Thanks for the input. ... I guess now that I think about it I did see the WTAM banner up top the other night.

I guess I'm not getting what you're implying, but that's fine. If it's as simple as getting the "people who matter," like the TV guys and such, on the floor, that's fine, I can understand that.

But does the PD guy still sit on he floor? I guess that's where my question comes in.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If it's a choice between PD guy and ABJ guy, PD guy will win every time.

5. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

No, all print media lost their courtside seats at the Q. Windhorst and Sheridan were both in Japan for worlds, that's probably why Sheridan mentioned him.

6. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

Windhorst also does a lot of work for espn.com, which may be the reason Sheridan mentioned him. Haven't heard where they moved the media but if they just moved him it would be surprising. Both Akron and Cleveland cover every home and road game.

7. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Was at a preseason game there and it seemed all the beat writers were seated on the second level in a corner. Not a great place to see the game. Not sure if that seating is where they are now that the regular season has started.

8. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Further.....the Cav writers are part of a bigger movement....

The NBA has allowed all the teams to put the media wherever they want, and sell those premium spots on the floor to season ticket holders. This has been covered in a previous thread.

9. noodles

noodles Member

Looks like the Bulls have moved one set of media seating from next to the visitor's bench at the United Center. Did they kick those people to the hockey press box?

Draft saved Draft deleted