1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any tips for living without air conditioning?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 11, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Do you hate pants?"

This thread reminds me of my crazy-ass parents, whom I love dearly even if they are batshit crazy when it comes to air conditioning. They have central air in their house, but it takes an act of God for them to use it. Maybe it's cause my mom grew up on a farm, I dunno. But it's crazy.

Last summer, we were up there for a couple days in July, when it was about 128 degrees. My dad, sporting his usual pants and t-shirt, said "don't put on the air conditioner." Of course, that didn't work so well when we were sleeping ON THE THIRD FLOOR. It was so fucking hot that we ended up sleeping on the floor in the living room, which was only slightly more bearable.

That was night one. I said to my mom "If you're not putting on the air conditioning, we're staying at a hotel tonight. We got no damn sleep and it's not happening again." She said oh no, don't do that, we'll get an air conditioner from your sister's house and put it in the window of the spare room. I said mom, what's the fuckin logic in that? We could just, you know, PUT ON THE AIR CONDITIONING THAT YOU HAD PLACED IN THE HOUSE WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT 17 YEARS AGO. She said no, we can't do that, get the air conditioner and me and my brother-in-law can put it in the window.

In the meantime, my dad actually turned on the A/C. My wife was exhausted and said she'd take a nap in the living room while I went to my sister's house. I come back a couple hours later and my wife is awake and looking pissed. I asked what happened and she said my dad turned the A/C off after 15 minutes.

So anyway, my brother-in-law and I dragged out an A/C he never uses, brought it to my parents house, put it in the window and used it. And we didn't spend another night there until the new year. unreal.

Then there was the time my wife and I were away and the hotel's A/C went out on the hottest night of the year. Fortunately, that got us two free nights. Good times.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Jerry, Elaine? Did your original bed have a metal bar in the middle?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Another thread-contained D_B?

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So would you be d_bing the d_b call I made on the d_b of my post?

Draft saved Draft deleted