1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any tips for living without air conditioning?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I love my Vornado fans.

Small, but oh-so powerful.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Newman: Now, you're that firend. Now, all we need is a reason why you were going to commit suicide.

[Pause; they're thinking]

Kramer: I never had an air conditioner.

Newman: No! That's no reason to kill yourself!

Kramer: Why? It gets hot at night, you can't sleep. You ever tried to sleep in a really hot room?

Newman: Every night I sleep in a really hot room, I don't want to kill myself.

Kramer: Well, I slept in really hot rooms and I wanted to kill myself.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Any tips for living without air conditioning?

Don't.

Or get a hotel room. Sorry, it's Texas and that's all I got.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have one of the heating units and it works wonders in the winter...

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Quit being a pussy.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Call me or anyone who runs to a hotel to avoid being hot any name you want. It will roll off my back while I bask in the air conditioning.

In all seriousness to the original question, is borrowing a window unit from someone a possibility? They really work well in these situations, especially with a few well-placed box fans to help distribute the air.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When sleeping, park a decent-sized fan as close to you as possible and turn it on high. Even in a hot room, that constant fan blast that makes your hair flutter does wonders. That's how I made it through 20 summers in New Jersey with a downstairs window unit as the only form of A/C. I think they sell a nice 16-inch model at Wal-Mart for $10 or $15 that you can dry clothes on, they're so powerful.
    Oh, and if the fan oscillates, don't let it. Those few seconds when it goes away seem like hours.

Threads like this make you wonder how places like Mississippi, Texas and Arizona ever got settled, doesn't it?

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Buy some fans, suck it up.

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I vote for the hotel as well.....or borrowing the couch of a close friend.

10. I lived without air conditioning for most of my life, so here are a few tips:

1) Take those cold showers, or as cold as you can take it.

2) I used to put a damp towel on my face at night and put the fan right next to my bed. Never had a problem sleeping that way.

3) Sleep on the fire escape if it's big enough. Did that one a few times. I brought one of those baby/dog fences to cover the opening where the ladder was.

4) Suck it up.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

I lived one summer without A/C in the humid (and sometimes hot) Midwest...my then girlfriend and I spent a lot of time in the shower, reading at the library, and watching ball games at a local establishment, drinking free-refill coke until our bladders burst...ahh, memories

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Did you fill her up with anything else?

Draft saved Draft deleted