1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any techies here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I have iMovie on my iBookG4, but the program, for whatever reason, fell off the dock and fizzled. Alas, I can't open the iMovie anymore. That said, I have a videocamera with a firewire. Can anyone here explain step by step how to download a movie onto my laptop. Are there free programs on the 'Net to facilitate this? Anyhelp would be much appreciated.

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Paging Mama Rosie. Mama Rosie, white courtesy telephone please.

Xan, I am not trying to be a jerk here, but I thought if you plugged the camera into the firewire port, the Apple would do the rest.

3. Songbird

I thought so, too. I plugged the firewire into the port expecting some program or another to pop open. Nothing happened, but it's the right firewire, according to Best Buy.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, if you plug in the dealio, you should see a new icon on the desktop. Then you should be able to open that and find the video. Then click on the video file and drag it to the desktop. As for how to open it, you need to open the applications folder in your hard drive and search the names of programs until you find iMovie. Unless you've completely erased it, you should be able to find it in that applications folder. Probably, you'll find a bunch of programs in there that will give you hours of entertainment.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

reboot it.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Have you tried jiggling it?

8. Songbird

As if "Zip it, need a bucket?" jiggling it? ...

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Can you reinstall iMovie from the DVD that came with the iBook?

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I know that if you drag the icon off the dock, it's just like deleting a link. The file still exists.

My bet is to check your applications folder, open up IMovie from there, then it'll show up on the dock. To prevent it from leaving the dock once you close it, right-click on the dock's icon for IMovie and select "Keep in dock."

If you've actually deleted IMovie from your computer's hard drive, then yeah, go and reinstall it.

I assume you've used IMovie before to get the video onto your laptop. Otherwise there's a whole other spiel to go into.

11. Songbird

Before the IMovie fell off the dock and drowned I tried uploading a video but couldn't figure it out. Spent hours on it. Frustrating. I'll figure it out somehow, I suppose.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I owe you huge for that. I could never get firefox to stay in there, so every time I wanted to open it, I went to the apple, dragged down to 'recently used' and opened it there.

Draft saved Draft deleted