1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Super Bowl media stuck in the elements?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bubbler, Feb 4, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i don't know about this. weather is weather. even rich people know they can't control it.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

not everybody at the game is rich. and rest assured, when you cough up 600 or 700 for a game in miami, you're not expecting to be going back to your hotel soaked. all those empty seats by game's end were not a sight the nfl much appreciated.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The thing that amazed me is that the rain NEVER LET UP. It was constant for the entire evening and it was still raining when I got back to my hotel about 1 a.m. My poncho didn't keep my real dry but it held the body heat in so I wasn't shivering by the end of the first quarter.

I was surprised how well the field held up after all the equipment was taken off at the end of the halftime show. And the stadium really didn't start to empty out until after the Colts ran that INT back for a score.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No effin' way. For one thing, it's one soaked Super Bowl in 41 years, or in the 20-something outdoor Super Bowls. The stuff I've heard on sports radio and elsewhere about going to all-dome SB's is knee-jerking at its finest (granted I wasn't out there with a laptop, kudos to those of you who survived that).

I don't care if you spent $700 at XLI or $5 for a midweek Marlins game, it's Miami. Check the radar. Chances are you're gonna need that poncho, for 10 minutes or three hours. I couldn't believe some of the wide-angle shots late in XLI with all those empty seats. 15,000 people have never, ever been outside in the rain??

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, but with no rain throughout, no one rushes to leave early. paying those kind of prices keeps ypu in your seat unless you're drenched.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

then perhaps miami as a super bowl site will be reconsidered. listen, as the prices soar, the rain factor will be a serioius consideration.

Draft saved Draft deleted