1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any suggestions for a voice/audio recorder?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsfan AS, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Sportsfan AS

Sportsfan AS New Member

Any thoughts? What do you use now? What do you like? What to stay away from?

Thanks.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I bought an Olympus (can't remember the model number) digital recorder a couple of weeks ago. It was about $60. It can download the recorded audio to my PC. It doesn't transcribe it, but it'll save it. It was a good purchase.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

I've had a Sony minidisc recorder, which is what many radio people use, for several years. It's expensive, but the sound quality is the best. And it records onto discs (like cassettes), meaning you sort of have an unlimited amount of recording time. The only drawback is the price.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

First and foremost, make sure whatever you guy is compatible with your operating system. Secondly, I love my Olympus VN-9600. At least I loved it until I got Vista on the laptop and discovered the two weren't compatible.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've had a Sony IC Recorder for two years. It's pretty basic and set me back about $60 in 2005. I'm sure, if they still make it, it's much cheaper now. I've never had a problem with it.

7. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Get an iPod and get the recorder option for your iPod.

Great quality. Keep it on the iPod...or easy storage of files in iTunes...

The iPhone also doubles as a recorder. See if the shop will comp that lol...

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

[​IMG]

This one is just under $50 at Wal-Mart. The reason it's my favorite, is it comes with a USB cable and once you're done with the interview, you just download it to your computer. It saves it as a mp3 with nothing to load onto your computer or anything like that.

I also bought the rechargeable batteries from Sony. It does chew through them quite fast. But the batteries with the charger were only about $15.

I think it was all well worth the investment.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This thing works like a charm for me.

[​IMG]

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Norm? That you?

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

For Mac OSX users, the Olympus DS-2 is terrific. Very tough, very small, very light. Lots of file space.

Draft saved Draft deleted