1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any sport you don't enjoy covering???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Sportsgal25

Sportsgal25 New Member

This post is three pages long already and y'all have mentioned every sport but football. So I <i>despise</i> covering football. At any level.

That's right. I said it. I hate football. I'd rather over underwater basket-weaving, or intramural water polo. Or shove sharp sticks in my eyes. Twice.

(Why do I have a horrible feeling I'm about to get jumped by one or all of you? Heh.)

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Boy SG, I thought you were spewing something unAmerican for a minute, but then I figured out that you're talking about futbol. ;D

3. To this, I totally agree. But as easy as it was to cover, it still pained me that I was watching soccer and totally against my own will.

So...

1) Swimming
    2) Soccer

4. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

I don't care much for volleyball or wrestling. I can tolerate soccer. Anything else, I'm good for.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I think the funniest thing about this thread is the fact that swimming parents are awful everywhere. It must be the long-term exposure to chlorine.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah ... it was going to be that way.

They do weirder things for their kids than most ... like get up at 4:30 a.m. to get their kids to the local Y in the mornings for pre-school practice. So, since they're putting in unusual effort for their kids' athletic endeavors, they naturally think their kids are doing more than the others.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Good point. If I had my kid waking me up at 4:30, I'd be like, "Here, Cassandra, I know you're only 6 but you can drive, right?" then go back to sleep.

[sarcasm ... I'm going to do ANYTHING for my kids /sarcasm]

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Actually, hockey parents do the same shit without being complete weirdos.

Swimming parents suck everywhere, but I'm not quite sure of the reason.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I still say it's spending hours in a hot, muggy natatorium (love that word) while inhaling toxic levels of chlorine.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't really have any hatred for cross country, but covering the NCAA championships is a clusterfuck beyond belief. I was up there this year covering four specific athletes, one for my paper, three for a freelance job. None of them finished top three in the event, so they weren't brought to the interview tent. I asked one of the media relations people from Indiana State what the best way to get interviews was, and he tells me to just get them coming out of the chute.

Which is great, until you realize you're stuck in the middle of a mud-pit mob with parents, coaches and fans waiting to congratulate their athletes. Trying to track down the individuals and coaches was a bitch. Got it done, but I really wish there was a staging area in between the chute and the fans so the media can get to who they need to talk to without weeding through the mob of fans.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Sounds just like the state event here. Basically there is no interview tent and it's like searching for a lost child to find any of the runners. You had to either get lucky and find them in the mob of parents, teammates and classmates (who would invariably interrupt your interview with shrieks and hugs), or you had to find out where the team tents were then sit and wait for them. Then you had to walk all over creation to each tent.

It was a pain in the ass suffice it to say.

12. AP_Hack

AP_Hack New Member

This is all you need to read to know why wrestling is such a putrid sport.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2749661

Draft saved Draft deleted