1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any sport you don't enjoy covering???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jan 28, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, there's always coal-mining.

2. scribe21

scribe21 Member

I hate soccer. Boring as heck. Not a fan of Little League coverage, but the people were used to it when I came to my current job. The league used to bring in scorebooks each morning. Stopped that practice immediately. Made a form and now they have to turn those forms in each morning. Will leave out if they are incorrect. Average LL write-up is around 15-18 inches. Started running home run leader, but one parent disputed and said his son was leading in home runs., Will NOT be running home run leaders this year. Cheerleading, what's the use???? They are there as fans dressed up in a uniform, but they go through extensive training for such activities. ... I guess gymnastics + cheerleading = sport, but I disagree. Where do you put them???

3. It's funny to me reading the consensus of the board on what they hate covering because of most of the events people don't like — wrestling, track and field, Little League, golf and soccer — those are all my favorite things to cover.

Don't get me wrong, football season is fun to me because it's so demanding and there's a lot of buildup toward one day of games. But wrestling is by far my favorite thing to cover. I never even watched a match until I started my job some 6 1/2 years ago, but I was instantly hooked because whether a kid wins or loses, there's no blaming on johnny mssing a block or jimmy dropping the fourth-down pass in the end zone. If you get beat, you get beat, bottom line. I don't care if it;s a fluke loss or not, you got beat.

After covering high school wrestling for a couple years, I got to cover the local small-school Division I wrestling team that generally sends at least half their lineup to NCAAs and is usually on the brink of the national Top 25. College wrestling is a whole different world from high school wrestling. The quality is so much better and there's four less weight classes than high school so you're really getting the best kids in the country.

But from reading everyone's responses, I think the idea of what is fun to cover is directly related to your knowledge of the sport and quality of the sport in your area ... especially at the high school level. I've always been a sports fan, not just baseball or football or basketball, but of every sport. I dabbled in a little bit of everything growing up. I played some tennis, baseball, football, soccer, golf, basketball and even tried some rugby (which I still don't understand) and more recently I've become very interested in Australian Rules football.

Long story short ... covering swimming sucks and swimming parents suck even harder.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Again ... this is what I've always thought with girls' basketball. If you're watching bad girls' high school basketball, you bet it sucks. If you're watching high-level girls' high school basketball, it's outstanding.

5. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Spot on view scribe.

7. LemMan

LemMan Member

I actually enjoy the events at a track meet - some of the sprints are exciting when the right runners are involved - but I the problem is that I have rarely been to a high school meet where the results are easy to come by. Wrestling is the complete opposite. Nearly 100 percent of the time, I leave an all-day meet with a neat, clean and legible packet of results.

8. Any prep spring sports.
    Baseball and softball are ok - at well-played games. The 18-14 gamers with 15 of the combined 32 runs being walked in sucks.
    Track, soccer, etc.....shoot me.

I am a part-time guy at our newspaper in town......we have 2 prep schools and I'm on one beat and the SE is on the other and we feature our prep teams over anything else collegiate or pro, because this is what the good old publisher wants. I actually have no problem with that.

I think by doing things this way....it almost allows us to turn our coverage into something like that of a college beat and featuring our two prep beats like college, which makes for great, interesting coverage of football and basketball season.

And thankfully, I am blessed to be in a competitive area for girls prep basketball and blessed to cover a team with two outstanding freshmen. I've paid the price though.....that girls team has won 17 games the past three seasons, they've already won 14 this year alone...

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

1. Auto racing. Big waste of gas.
    2. Horse racing. Case in point: grown men weeping over Barbaro. Give me a break (pun intended). I prefer Old Yeller.
    3. Rhythmic gymnastics.
    4. Trampoline.
    5. Sailing.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Agree completely. I don't like to cover anything I don't know a lot about, but if the teams I'm covering are good it's a lot easier to get into.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I enjoy track and field. Even at the college and elite levels, the athletes are accesible and, for the most part, cooperative. If you can't find a decent angle at a track meet, you ain't trying.

Haven't been forced to cover baseball in at least 20 years, thank God.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

One problem with track and field is trying to keep track (as it were) of everything. If there's a pole vault, long jump and 400 going on at the same time, to where do you point your attention?

I've mellowed on my T&F distaste in recent years, mostly due to covering events where there's competent people running it. Having a site like milesplit.com helps wonders, as does being at a weekly and not having to worry about cobbling all the stats together at 10 p.m.

But as a 6-5, 330-pound sumbitch, I have a hard time empathizing with 5-1, 90-pound sprinters. Usually I make a beeline for the shot pit as soon as I get to the track.

Draft saved Draft deleted