1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any sport you don't enjoy covering???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jan 28, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Wrestling, track and field, swimming. Fortunately, I don't have to cover that shit any more.

Biggest douches out of any athletes I've ever covered? Pro golfers.

2. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Pro baseball players are no picinic, either...

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The only sport worse than track is field.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Covering baseball drove me insane...

Football is my favorite sport, but covering basketball is so fucking easy...

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I loved covering track & field. I looked upon it as a three-ring circus. Watch the track for a while, grab some winners. Then lie in the grass around the high jump when it got interesting. Then go down to the weights area and watch the javelin finals...

6. moonlight

moonlight Member

• High School tennis: There's probably three matches going on at once, all the players suck and nobody cares.
    • Short-track auto racing: BillyJoeJimBob taking his '77 Malibu around the dirt track 15 laps. Post-race quote: "I knowd he wuz back 'er. I seen him."
    • Cheerleading: It's not a sport. But try telling that to the parents.
    • Girls basketball playoffs: When the top seed plays the team that barely qualified. Ugh. Lopsided score, losing team usually has 30+ turnovers.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Tennis.
    Wrestling.
    Track & Field/Cross Country

They're all beyond challenging to me. I can do it, and I have covered all of the above, but I don't care to do any of those.

Soccer, on the other hand, is a cake walk. Gimme 15 inches for a nil-nil match (I should mention: The only time I would get 15 inches for a high school soccer match was if a team was going to state or was playing at state). I'd occasionally get 15 for a regular-season college match.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

1. I covered high school tennis for one season. In my area, the kids were bratty and the parents were worse. There was one kid who quit during a third-place match at sectional because she was getting beat and couldn't take it. We had one girl suspended because she was at a party where there was drinking going on. The team lost a couple dual meets when she was absent, and when she came back they nearly beat the top team in the area. I wrote she was out because of "violation of athletic code" and her mom went nuts on me, saying I shouldn't have put anything in the paper and just said she was out. (Uh, lady, the first question after that is Why?)
    Unless you watched a whole match start to finish, it was tough to keep up. I refuse to cover girls tennis ever again.
    2. That goes double for opening round of soccer playoffs when it's 12-1 and 15-0.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

The only thing about cross country that I disliked was at the conference meet and some invitationals they would have the freshman/sophomores, then the junior varsity meet, then the varsity meet ... then the OPEN MEET. Those are basically for kids who can't run the course in less than 30 minutes. The only bad thing was you had to wait for that race to get over with because the coaches took it all very seriously, calculating split times and everything.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I like covering baseball in May. Not in March and April. I don't care how many clothes I put on, I end up shivering my ass off waiting for a sophomore scrub to get the ball over the plate.

I like soccer. I follow soccer. I have fantasy Premier League teams. I don't particularly care to cover high school soccer though. When I'm at these events, I usually end up wanting to kill the coaches of these teams because of their abortions of game plans. For fuck's sake, if you're a winless pile of shit playing the top team in your league, you play defense, defense, defense. You do not need three forwards - especially when they will never see the ball.

Cross country has good stories involved. The kids are usually great interviews because they're smarter than the football jocks. Typing the agate is fucking awful though.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I like covering all sports, but when you get poorly played games, it really suck.

I went to a girls basketball game last season that of all the games in the area that night our people thought should be covered.

Final score was in the realm of 55-18. Just like pulling teeth.

12. Scribe4Sports

Scribe4Sports New Member

I can't stand covering high school girls basketball. Can I please watch more players attempt bounce passes through three sets of legs. Or maybe I can see some more 3-point attempts where the girl look like she's heaving the ball up there like a shot put.

I don't understand how these girls can look so athletic playing volleyball, but then look the complete opposite on the basketball court.

I personally like cross country, but mainly because I run all the time myself. I have a much greater appreciation for what those kids do. What I don't like about cross country - the damn girl/boy that takes 35 minutes to run 3 miles, holding up the boys/girls race.

As for swimming - I get almost nothing from actually attending a meet, aside from smart-ass comments from parents like, ‘Wow, nice to see you finally show up for a meet!' or 'You know these kids work just as hard as the basketball players!.' Possibly true, but still, no one cares.

Most wrestling is also horrid. But I did get to cover an undefeated 189-pound state title winner that completely kicked ass everytime on the mat. He was just plain mean and was fun to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted