1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any sport you don't enjoy covering???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jan 28, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

Is there one/more sport(s) you don't really enjoy covering. The kind where you really have to push yourself to do a good job. I find basketball can be that way for me. Once the season is in swing and get one of those games where Team A is down by 15 in the fourth quarter and begin fouling. Sometimes it seems like the final quarter of those games can last a week. Foul, foul, foul, no time moves off the clock. It makes me begin dreading covering the next one. Anyone out there have this feeling toward any sport. I still take notes, do interviews and file a gamer, but it can be a challenge sometimes for me to motivate myself to cover the game if there have been several of those foul-a-thons lately. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Cheerleading and drill team.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

UFC. [/couldntresist]

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Baseball, poorly played basketball, baseball, uneven ice hockey, baseball. Did I mention baseball?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bad softball can be brutal. 10 walks and six errors per inning.

Good softball can be a godsend. 11 innings in 50 minutes. Great if you're on deadline.

6. buzzerbeater

buzzerbeater Member

Idaho,

He said sport. ;D

Wrestling. I really respect the dedication and commitment it takes to be a successful wrestler. But it's an God awful sport to watch and cover.
    Swimming. Who can tell what's going on once they hit the water? Not me. And swim parents are the WORST.
    Soccer. Dislike the game with a passion but at least the clock keeps moving.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Soccer! [/thepeanutgallery]

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Rhythmic gymnastics. Actually had a youth and junior organization in the town I covered years ago. Some actually thought they were going to the Olympics. None ever did. Talk about psycho parents.
    And as a former swimmer, with swim parents, they're not so bad. But then again, I wasn't that good. And I loved covering swim meets.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Ditto on wrestling and soccer.

Baseball at the prep level can be unwatchable, unless you enjoy 15-12 games played at a three/four-hour clip.

10. jps

jps Active Member

soccer. period.
    though swimming and gymnastics would definitely fill out the top 3.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

5K races. Cross country.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Cricket.

You're out there 10 hours, and they give you 16 fucking inches.

Draft saved Draft deleted