1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any small college football fans out there

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

In I-AA (excuse me, Division I-CS), I know sportschick will disagree, but I've thought that UMass was the best team all season long. Only loss was by a point at Navy, which won nine games. Beat New Hampshire twice. Won't be fazed by the cold at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. I'd take UMass straight up to win that game. Montana hasn't been tested like UMass has. The Big Sky was way down this year. The A-10 was four, five deep.

App isn't losing at home in the other semi. Not happening.

Then I'd take UMass over App in Chatty.

No clue on the other divisions.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'd take Grand Valley State in the D-II title game.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I graduated from UW-Whitewater in '98, so duh. Would be nice to see Berezowitz go out on top :)

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Now that's what I'm talking about! [/Lamar Thomas]

This is right up my alley, along with the everyone else who knows the small college scene.

In I-AA, take Appy State and Montana. Appy is pretty damn good and I think the miracle run of the Penguins could end here on Saturday. Montana could ambush UMass. That place is a house of horrors for playoff teams. The fans are on top of the teams and they can get rowdy as hell in a hurry. If UMass keep their focus on the field and not the environment, I would love to see them win it. Not gonna happen. Montana will win. I'm taking Appy State all the way for the repeat.

D-2: Delta State and GV State will be a good game. Can the Statemen knock the Lakers off that perch? They'll try but GV will win this and move on. Mel Tjeerdsma and his Bearcats are back in the title chase against Bloomsburg. Given NW's history and their previous title game matchup against GV a few years ago, Northwest is looking for payback in a big way. GV will beat NW for the title.

D-3: Ah yes, my home sweet home of football. St. John Fisher upset periennal power Rowan last week. That's the good news. The bad news is they travel to Alliance to face Mt. Union, who dispatched Capital. Purple Raider fever is a bitch. See ya St. J-F. Whitewater hosts Wesley. Wesley held on to fend off Mary Hardin Baylor and Whitewater sent John Gagliardi and St. John's packing after a great contest. Trouser forgot to add one more name along with Coach Berezowitz: Justin Beaver. If anything, if Whitewater makes it back to the title game, you have got to watch this kid. He's phenomenal.

Whitewater vs. Mt. Union: I want Whitewater to win...badly.

5. GFav44

GFav44 Member

MAry Hardin Baylor wasnt that good to me. I saw them play Christopher Newport (Go Captains) and they lost to CNU in a low scoring game. They didnt pass that much, just run the hell out of you. Still, go with Mt. Union. If Mt. Union loses, its an upset.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes, they're on another level.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

When it comes to Beaver, you're right on top of things... ;D

Seriously, covered the kid in high school...a great talent.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Do the Dickinson Midgets count as small college football fans?

9. My State U is going to stomp on the Grizz!

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As somebody in the same pool as Jay, I must say I'm shocked — shocked! — he's turning to outside help.

(But, yeah, I'll use the info in this thread too.)

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

My sig, I think, makes it quite clear what I'll suggest in I-AA, in the other game go with Appy State. I won't try the other divisions, I don't know anything about them.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Damn your Inky heart you Inky_Wretch, you can't cheat from my cheat sheet.
    Plus as bad as I'm beating you, one might think I wouldn't need the help. I've been atop the leaderboard for most of the season, what are you tied for 15th?
    Didn't you have a couple of o-fer weeks? I think it was the same time I was perfect.
    Anyway, you suck at football picking, yet I acknowledge your greatness in college basketball pools.
    In haiku form...
    Ramon Escobar
    Will be mine, plus the cash prize
    It will be good times

Draft saved Draft deleted