1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any small college football fans out there

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Dec 6, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In a blatant attempt at cheating I need some help with my college football pick'em contest.
    With the regular season over, we make the transition for the small college playoffs, before the bowl games start.
    My knowledge of small college football isn't awful. I just haven't really been keeping up with this season.
    I know that App. State is good and the defending champ. Someone on the site has been pimping Montana. I know that Delta is usually strong in D-II and it seems that Mount Union is awesome in D-III, but that's about it.
    The beauty in I-AA is that you have to pick the semis now and forecast those winners and then pick the I-AA champ.
    Here are the games ... Tell me what to do.

Division I-AA Semifinals
    Massachusetts-Montana
    Line: Montana by 3

Youngstown State-Appalachian State
    Line: Appalachian State by 1

Division I-AA Championship
    Choose among remaining teams in above semifinals
    Line: To be determined

Division II Championship
    Choose among Grand Valley State, Delta State, Bloomsburg, and NW
    Missouri State
    No Line

Stagg Bowl XXXIV
    Choose among Mount Union, St. John Fisher, Wesley, and
    Wisconsin-Whitewater
    No line

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Take the Penguins +1. They'll do it for the ghost of Jim Tressell.

3. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I'm only 5-9, but I love college football. Do I qualify?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Paging Chris_L and Sportschick. Chris_L and Sportschick to this thread.

Just not together. Then they'd fight.

Only if your screen name were Gordie_Lockbaum.

5. GFav44

GFav44 Member

For D3, take Mt. Union.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If you are looking for a good pick "against the grain" look at Whitewater in D3. Their coach is older than dirt and this is his last season and they are looking to give him a national championship as a going away present. UWW absolutely destroyed most of the WIAC this season, which is traditionally among the best conferences in the nation.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

But it was a hell of a lot cooler back when it was the WSUC. I grew up in Milwaukee and could've played at any of the state D-III schools, but I decided to go to a big-time party school and be a total jag-off instead. :)

My grandmother, grandfather, mom and aunt all went to Whitewater. It's a fun little town.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'll take Mt. Union (high school buddy of mine played there) in D-3 and of course the Grizzlies in I-AA. I have no opinion on D-2.

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Take Grand Valley State, which has won three of the last four D-II titles and has a Harlon Hill Trophy finalist at QB.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Was Grand Valley State the school that won like four or five national championships last season or a couple years back.
    I remember a small school pulled off a bunch of titles and all in the same year, but I don't remember the class or the school.
    I also know that the App State national title game last year was one of the best football games I have seen in a long time. The quarteback broke his ankle and still played.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Jay, I was just going to say that Grand Valley State has pretty much reached the point where you have to consider it a force every year. Outstanding program.

I'm pulling for Bloomsburg; I was in Shepherdstown, WV on Saturday to see them beat Shepherd. But I think they're still a year away, with a junior TB who may get himself picked late in the 2008 draft.

Grand Valley by 14 over NW Missouri in the final.

Mount Union and UWW play in tougher D-III competition than the other two. Mount Union by 4 over Whitewater in the final.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Stay away from Youngstown State. Defense and special teams are awful. And don't bring up Tressel, that boat sailed long ago. This team is lucky to get this far.

Mount Union in Div. III. I hate them with a passion, but they are stacked this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted