1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Scrabble fans out there?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Nov 16, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I do too, and so do the boys in the shop, but thanks to a damned firewall, we can't play any games on Yahoo! anymore.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

During a game between my buddy and I and his girlfriend and my wife, we won with "qat." We were stuck with the Q and the A and had nowhere to go with no other tiles left in the bag, so on our third or fourth try, we got desperate and tried it. My wife contested it, looked it up and just glared at us.

Qat, of course, is a middle eastern market. My buddy and I high-fived each other and mocked the ladies incessantly, at least until he broke up with his girlfriend a couple years later.

"Well you shouldn't have won because after you pass two times the game should be over," my wife said.

Then there was another time when another buddy and I were playing my wife and her friend. My friend says "So any word in the dictionary counts right?" My wife says yes. My friend writes in "kwjibo," which of course is an American ape! We didn't get away with that one, but we had a real good laugh.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Simpsons did it!

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Did you go to special school, too, BYH?

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Maybe Moddie or one of the other tech geniuses on here can help you figure out a way to break through ;)

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

My ex-father-in-law was a HUGE Scrabble player. He competed in tournaments. He invited the former Bad Gal Zero and I out to Denny's one night to have dinner with him [the guy was going to school to become a paralegal...he didn't have much money. Who makes dinner plans to go to Denny's anyway? Denny's is a place you go to an a total whim.]. So we show up and it's him and about thirty other Scrabble nuts. That's when we realized that we were in the Scrabble equivalent of a Shaklee meeting. And no, neither one of us joined their cult.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy playing Scrabble. I just don't know anyone else that's into it. I enjoy solving crossword puzzles which I suppose is kind of close. And I really shouldn't be so hard on the Scrabble nuts as I thoroughly enjoyed the movie Wordplay and would consider entering a crossword puzzle tournament if I was certain I wouldn't have my mind grapes stomped on my some 15 year old wonderkid.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow. Shaklee. I haven't heard that word since I was a kid and my mother bought, oh, a whole warehouse full of Shaklee shit from one of our neighbors. I'm convinced she had us eating our vitamins b/c she could justify the investment if we consumed everything. I'm sure there's still some sour-tasting kids vitamins in a pantry at home. Maybe my mom can give them to my nephew.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You all right there, sir? It looks like you're trailing off a bit.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who me?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Perhaps.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey I ree-hee-hee-hee-ally appreciate you caring, Janice, but I'm fine. Now go run and join the field hockey team.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moddy (with a y, not an ie) a tech genius?
    Put down the pipe, son.

Draft saved Draft deleted