1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Rush fans out there? (The band, not the fat, drug-addled douche)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Msaint, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Rush is the Jarrod Bunch of rock.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not much on "Permanent Waves" and "Moving Pictures"? A little surprising ... to each his own, of course, but still a bit surprised.

Rush of the 80s was just fine by me. Different, sure, but I like Genesis, too, and they've been heavy synths and percussion since Steve Hackett left.

And Buck ... Rush has never had its collective helmet knocked off by Gene Atkins. That hit was nasty.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about Billy Taylor? George Adams?

4. Frylock

Frylock Member

One of the final opening bands for Rush was Primus.
    Not so strange when you consider both bands ...

5. I'd get beat up for Rush. They own j00.

Well, they own meh.

I could do without Vapor Trails, but I'm down with most anything else.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That makes one murciélago I know in real life. One more and I'll be "connected."

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

One Little Victory was good off Vapor Trails, but the rest of the album was lacking.

8. Msaint

Msaint Member

Forgot to mention, Geddy had a funny line about Neil Peart's complex, ever-changing time signatures (e.g. switching in a flash from 3-4 to 2-4 to 6-8) in their music:

"We did that on purpose so people couldn't dance to it."

9. Nice one, Moddy Jr. Very witty.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I knew Rush had a bad album with Presto when I saw some girl dancing to it on her walkman.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Walk...man? What is this contraption of which you speak?

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

"Fly By Night" has some good stuff on it -- a lot of hard-rocking, three-minute stuff they would spurn later, but WAY better than the stuff on their first album. Peart is right that "Caress of Steel" sucked rocks, although "I Think I'm Going Bald" is so bad it's... well, not good, but hard to ignore.

As for the crowd like an IT convention, I figured the reason that "Rush in Rio" sounds so deep and bass-y is because they had to mix it with the underbelly of the sound of 40,000 men cheering. Their shows were like something I heard Mojo Nixon say when I saw him:

"My wife sez to me, 'Mojo, you, uh, fuckin' around on the road?' And I sez, 'No, honey, I ain't. 'Cuz when I look in front of me' -- Mojo sweeps his arm across the crowd -- 'I see nuthin' but guys.'"

Draft saved Draft deleted