1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Rush fans out there? (The band, not the fat, drug-addled douche)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Msaint, Feb 26, 2007.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Saw Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Blue Oyster Cult opened on Power Window.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Seen them about 4 times (Roll the Bones, Vapor Trails, and another couple I can't quite recall). I have the ultimate respect for them as musicians and I think their music has a lot more spiritual depth than they're given credit for. And by all accounts, they're regular guys who've never gotten caught up in the rock star ego trip (though Alex Lifeson did have his little drunken incident a few years back).

Incredible live band that seems to have a subtle, dry sense of humor as well. Though the crowd always kind of resembles what I used to see when I had to cover IT conventions, the shows are always incredible.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My Dungeons and Dragons club is planning a group trip to see Rush.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've seen them twice on the Counterparts and Vapor Trails tours. That's niiiiice. (Hello, wicked!)

Throw out their first three albums - even Neil Peart doesn't like them and he wrote the lyrics to the last two - and it's otherwise just outstanding. Ranks right up there with another all-time favorite ... well, maybe a little bit behind one ...

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Saw them every even-numbered year between 1984 and 1994 at four different venues (Great Western Forum, Pacific Amphitheater in Costa Mesa, Reynolds Coliseum in Lubbock and the Arrowhead Pond). The streak ended when my daughter was born the day before Thanksgiving in 1998 and Rush was in SoCal that weekend.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't take in the 30th anniversary tour in '04. That mistake will be rectified this year, even if I can't get my musically aware 13-year-old to go with me. He inherited his mother's dislike of Geddy Lee's voice and subsequently hates the band.

His loss.

The (less than) Fabulous Thunderbirds opened for them in '86 and -- mercifully -- I can't remember the opening bands for the other five shows.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I have nothing to add to this thread. Sorry. Will only be a minute.

Thanks Sam_Mills for finally making an appearance on here!

I don't want to E.V.E.R. be subjected to listening to Rush for so many hours in a packed car again.

:)

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We listened to "Moving Pictures" once, then "YYZ" again when we approached Toronto.

To hear the tale told, you'd think we went from "2112" to "Vapor Trails" non-stop. Sheesh.

:) ;D

8. LemMan

LemMan Member

Seen them three times, including their Test For Echo tour, which was basically four hours of everything, including 2112 in its completion. I saw that tour twice, and neither one had an opening act. Saw them on the Counterparts tour, and Candlebox opened.

But Rush is the most underrated band in rock - period. They can go years without releasing an album, and fans would still pack an arena. That says something...

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Rush is the Art Monk of rock bands. Both need to be in their respective Halls of Fame.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No, Rush is the Tim Brown of rock bands. Took a while to fulfill potential, then was great for a while, among the best, though some were more recognized. Then fell off a bit and was still reliable, aside from a couple of slip-ups (dropped passes in the Super Bowl, most of Power Windows and Presto).

And they both should be in the Hall of Fame.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Rush is the Scott Brunner of rock bands.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I really have liked very few of their songs after Hemispheres, but their career before that....great stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted