1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Rush fans out there? (The band, not the fat, drug-addled douche)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Msaint, Feb 26, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I saw Rush in '90 right after "Presto" came out. Unfortunately, I don't like much of what Rush has done since the late '80s. The only "classic" song they played was "Tom Sawyer," and that's been overplayed for two decades, Everything else was off "Presto." Add that to the fact Mr. Big opened for Rush and it was one of my less-memorable concerts.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I saw the tour with Mr. Big (I thought it was on Roll the Bones, but I'm probably wrong). The longest 45 minutes of my life was listening to that set. A bunch of Mr. Big fans crowded in the first three or four rows and left after their one hit song that lasted for ever and a day. We snuck down and got some great seats when they left, and got to see the show up close. The guys fed off the crowd and fortunately played a lot of older stuff that night. Definitely, one of the top five concerts of my lifetime.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Re: Any Rush fans out there? (The band, not the fat, -addled douche)

Have seen Rush 5 or 6 times. Have seen a few people open for them (Tommy Shaw as a solo act when I saw them in 1987 on Hold Your Fire tour), but the last two concerts have been even better -- NO ONE opening and they played nearly 3 hours each time. Was especially happy to see them in LA as they played 2112 in full.

Birdscribe, Rocco has always been a fan favorite on the PGA Tour. Good to know he has another reason to like him.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I am very envious.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Good thing you missed the show I saw.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Do they do the rap from Roll The Bones? :D

7. I've seen Rush five times, and they've all been great shows. Rory Gallagher opened for them the first time I saw them, on the Signals tour in 1982. (Now there's a name from the past.) Primus opened for them when I saw them on the Roll the Bones tour in either '92 or '93.

Indeed, on the Vapor Trails and 30th Anniversary tours, they had no opening act. Those two shows were the best I've seen of them.

I can't wait to see them on the upcoming tour. I figure they're closer to the end than the beginning -- you never know when Neil's going to hang it up for good -- so if I can see them, I will.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck all you Mr. Big haters!!!!!

9. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Rush is kinda cool. Weren't they the first rock band with a prominent chick lead singer?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I saw them on the Vapor Trails and 30th anniversary tours as well. Great sets. Long show. Pulled out a few of my favorite songs, like "Natural Science" and "Red Sector A". They had a lot of fun with "By-Tor" and worked "Working Man" into one of the medleys. Great, great shows. I will definitely find the closest show and see them again on this tour. No, Geddy can't hit those high notes on "Temples of Syrinx" any more, but it's still a great show. They were in love with "The Pass" for some reason. Not a bad song, but not one of their best, either.

11. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

My first Rush show was the Permanent Waves tour. Blew me away. Love those guys, but somewhere after Signals I sort of lost interest. Still think all the older stuff is great.

12. hachat11

hachat11 Member

I've seen Rush three times and all were with no opening acts. Seeing a great band go at it for 3 hours is just great. I wish more bands would do that. They give you a 15-minute intermission and come back and put on a great second act. I'll be there this summer for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted