1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Rush fans out there? (The band, not the fat, drug-addled douche)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Msaint, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Necromancer is a great song.

2. Msaint

Msaint Member

Yes, including Steely Dan with the likes of Blondie and ZZ Top was an error. Can't Buy a Thrill, Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied, Royal Scam, Aja is as good an album streak as there is.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Former journeyman Bryn Smith (there's an 80s and 90s Baseball name) used to wear a Grace Under Pressure concert shirt under his uniform.

And Rocco Mediate become one of my favorite golfers when I read that he road-tripped to several concerts and met the band backstage. Two years ago at Deutsche Bank, I went up to him to schedule a radio interview with this radio station doing a live remote.

As he was signing autographs and working his way to where the station was, I played my cell phone ringer -- the opening riff to "Tom Sawyer" for him. He started laughing and asked me where I got that. Good guy.

4. Msaint

Msaint Member

:) Great story.

One of the guys I work with bought a copy of Twain's "Tom Sawyer" and had Geddy sign it. He got a good laugh out of that.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I like Rush.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I can only confirm that Bryn Smith is a huge Rush fan. He pitched for Montreal and must have had the connection with the band. I also know Geddy was good friends with Mark Langston, another former Expos pitcher.

Rush is one of my top 3 bands of all time. Glad Geddy is a good guy. Ask him when the next album is coming out?

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Thanks Junkie!

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

;D ;D ;D

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I am decidedly liberal, but I would rather listen to Rush the blowhard than Rush the band. The singer sounds like he was castrated so he could remain in the boys choir.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Rush has been showing up on INHD lately, in the Frankfurt (Germany) show from their 30th anniversary tour. Very cool stuff. :)

Especially in 1080i HD.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

"2112" has been in the rotation of my favorite CDs for most of the last 20-plus years.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The only regret of my concertgoing life is that I have never seen Rush. Hope to rectify that this summer.

Definitely one of my top three bands as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted