1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Rush fans out there? (The band, not the fat, drug-addled douche)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Msaint, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rush became a bit pretentious for my liking, but I got turned on to their 1974 debut album about a decade after the fact. Great rock 'n' roll record.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Geddy's son, Julian Weinrib (Lee's real last name), pitched for the University of Toronto.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:T6SUAmC03S4J:www.varsity.utoronto.ca/archives/121/sept11/sports/blues.html+%22julian+weinrib%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

3. Where's Junkie?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Prancing with Billy.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I hope their baseball team is better than their miserable football team.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sam Mills, I know for a FACT that he's a Rush fan. Learned that first hand on the way Toronto.

7. Msaint

Msaint Member

Yeah, I knew that'd ruffle some feathers. I actually like Steely Dan (Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are geniuses), but I just think that if they -- an amorphous "band" consisting of two core members, Fagen and Becker (and even these guys didn't set foot in the same room for 11 years from early 80's to early 90's), and and bunch of session players -- can get into the HOF, then it's a travesty that Rush doesn't. And SD has also been accused of being pretentious and bombastic, which seems to be Rush's most common criticism.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Glad to hear this. Can't wait until they tour again.

9. Msaint

Msaint Member

And he got the name "Geddy", if you didn't know, from his mother calling down to him & Alex Lifeson and other friends jamming in the basement, and in her eastern European accent, "Gary" sounded like "Geddy". Both his parents were/are (mom's still alive) concentration camp survivors, met as teens in an internment camp in Poland. Pretty amazing story.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It is a joke that Rush isn't in.
    We've had that debate hereabouts many times.
    But Steely Dan belongs. Whatever the makeup of the "band" might be, they made a boatload of great records.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

To take a little sidetrack, there's no requirement of being a 'band' to get into the a hall of fame.
    Would you feel better if they had been inducted as just 'Becker and Fagan' instead of 'Steely Dan'?

I heard Geddy Lee stole Sheffield's personal chef.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'm glad to hear this, which I've heard from several other sources along the way. But it's always good to hear. I'm envious of the experience, Msaint, and thanks for the thread.

The guy I've always wanted to meet is Neil Peart. When I was in college in the mid-80s, he was on Rockline one Sunday night. Incredible, incredible interview with one of the most intelligent people I've ever heard; I mean absolutely brilliant. Not to mention the greatest drummer alive.

And yes, Rush isn't in the HOF and the likes of Blondie, The Pretenders and ZZ Top are. Credibility issues, to say the least.

Draft saved Draft deleted