1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

any parent's unimaginable nightmare: 2 children stabbed to death by nanny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Oct 27, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Best post of the thread.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, also valium, but that's not the best option, either.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's hard to get a thread with two different strains of ignorance.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And even then, no matter how much you may trust your daycare person/staff, you may have problems.

Years ago, I would watch an elementary school-aged neighbor girl after school for a half-hour or so, then bring her and my young son, who was 2 at the time, to her house, where her mom would watch them when I went to work until my wife would come home and get our boy.

After a few weeks, our boy would start crying when I'd bring him down to the house, and wouldn't want me to leave. First I thought it was separation anxiety, then my wife had to leave him there one day for something and he cried with her.

Eventually, we asked the little girl in confidence why she thought he was crying. She said the mom had a boyfriend (well there's a fucking surprise) who came over, and had yelled at my son a few times. That was it for my wife and I, and we stopped bringing him over, although we still watched the girl on occasion.

I still feel horribly that we had sent him there in the woman's care, and she had seemed to be normal. She just associated herself with an asshole boyfriend.

And if the boyfriend HAD done anything with my son, odds are, I would be posting this from a prison cell. That's if a jury would have convicted me.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But there are no boyfriends hanging out in most daycares.

You can get a shitty person in a daycare room, but it usually only goes so far until a supervisor steps in and removes the person.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The victim blaming here is just bizarre.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There are just different ways of doing things. Hopefully you don't think I am blaming this couple.

When you hire a nanny, there is a pretty good chance your kid won'y get bit on the face like mine did at daycare. Pros and cons to everything.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Having 3 kids, especially 6, 3 and 2 is not the easiest thing. Yes people did it with less, but all the parents are trying to do is give their kids a bit (or a lot more) than they probably had. My sister and I had a "nanny" when my mom was a single mom working. I broached the subject of helping my wife when my boys were younger and she was at home.

As a parent, this is very hard to stomach or even fathom.

Draft saved Draft deleted