1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

any parent's unimaginable nightmare: 2 children stabbed to death by nanny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Oct 27, 2012.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

hope this isnt a db. i'm posting it as a shaken father of 3 who also depended on nanny-care when the three stooges were pre-school-aged and mrs. shockey and i were both working. few parents can avoid hiring a nanny in modern times... who among us werent guilt-ridden about it? and not worried to-death that they had entrusted a nut job with their precious angels?

havent seen this discussed here. horrifying event took place thursday on 'tony' upper west side of manhattan; father is an exec producer at cnbc.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/krims-treated-yoselyn-ortega-accused-killer-nanny-family-grandmother-article-1.1193015

oh, and i was once a citysidde reporter for this rag and was raised to use descriptive tabloid keywords to describe crimes of all kinds -- except those involving children. back then, even my most heartless editors wouldn't have let let us use 'butchered' children were involved

so this describing the victims as 'butchered' would not have passed muster; stabbed to death should have sufficed...

even lupica left his sports cocoon to weigh in: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/columnists?columnist=2.1029

i didnt really need this reminder that this world is a terrible place sometimes.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: any parent's unimaginable nightmare: 2 shorrifictabbed to death by nanny

Lupica link that works:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nightmare-posh-nabe-article-1.1193400

This story rocks me, and I have not a single mothering instinct. Just can't even imagine walking in and finding that scene.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There's a discussion underway within the Cannibal Cop thread, but this deserves its own.

Huge, horrible story preying on every parents worst fears.

Also destined, sadly, to become political somehow as it ricochets across class and working moms and immigration.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

FIXED.

thanks for the catch, mom. ;) :D 8) . 8).. i reek of fail when it comes to this cut-and-paste/moving stuff. i'm a geezer. once again i reek of fail. ;) :-[ :'(

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ha! Trust me, if I had a nickel for every time I c&ped something and started typing too quickly and threw an extra character on the end that broke it ... I'd be rich. No worries. Just wanted to get it out there.

Though I do think it's a worse column than he normally does for sports, which is saying a lot.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Will get plenty of media play because it happened to a rich person in NYC.

Won't when it happens to trailer park residents in Indiana: http://abcnews.go.com/US/indiana-baby-sitter-killed-year-girl-court-friday/story?id=15247766#.UIv4DcXA9JU

Or black people in Cincinnati: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2168271/Babysitter-Marquita-Burch-faces-life-prison-killing-toddler-William-Cunningham.html

Or in Bumfuck, Illinois: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2186326/Babysitter-murdered-month-old-baby-slamming-head-table-fussy-diaper-change.html

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I agree w TSP.

This is "big" because of NYC.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's horrible any place it happens, gang. Yes, the media explosion will occur because of geography, but it leaves me filling ill regardless of geography.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, i totally agree, ijag. mikey should stay in his toybox. he whiffs when he tried to be breslin or hamill. but when he tells the eds at the snooze, 'ooh, ooh, ooh, i have to weigh in oon this,' they never have the balls to say, 'NO!' cant have the little guy throwing a hissy-fit now, can we?

to DD and others: it's not so much locale as it is crimes like these in 'good' neighborhoods' to 'attractive white people' always get better play. i'm not sure it's because these folks are deemed more 'important,' but violent crimes to well-to-do white folk in 'good' neighborhoods are deemed more 'shocking' and 'newsworthy.' news organizations think violent crimes are ho-hum news in 'bad' areas.

always been that way, probably always will. hey, google 'kitty genovese' -- that happened 50 years ago! the more things change....

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Running out for a few hours. But as the husband of someone who was a full-time Upper West Side nanny for a decade and still picks up the family's kids kids one or two times a week during the school year, I want to write up some thoughts on this thread but will stop back in later in the day.

For now just want to say I really could have done without the Lupica "And now it was the bottom of the 9th and old Mariano Rivera jogged out of the bullpen one more time to get one more save at the Stadium" style on this particular story (and I say that as someone who still usually enjoys his sports columns).

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'd like to know her pay rate and if there were any squabbles over money with her employers in the past. I know articles say she was treated well, but employers sometimes exaggerate.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I, on the other hand, don't give a damn about her pay rate or if she wasn't treated well. It's a job. If you aren't paid what you think you deserve, leave. If your boss is mean, leave. You don't have the right or the option to do what she did. It's unforgiveable. I hope she's in pain in the hospital and getting no relief.

Draft saved Draft deleted