1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Parenthood watchers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by blacktitleist, Mar 3, 2010.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, considering Tierney's turns on Newsradio and ER I'm sure she could play the role well. I just prefer Graham when it comes to playing a mother to a teen. Although Tierney has proved her chops, Graham just seems more real to me. And I've loved Potter since seeing her in "Cool, Dry Place," a very underrated flick.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Like txsportscribe, I was thinking Tierney wouldn't have worked as well in Lauren Graham's character. I just don't think she does self-deprecating as well. Like both actresses a lot, but I think show might be better with Graham. Looooved Newsradio.

3. old_tony

OK, I'm watching it again and I just can't say enough how much I love this show. I know I watched five hours of it last week and those of you who have watched the six episodes have probably watched one hour a week, so maybe I'm gushing, but this show is must-watch for me now.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've not seen the newest episode, but I'm damn ready for the Julia vs. perfect stay-at-home mom to come to an end.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

So glad this episode did not close with the family-all-together montage. Would have been awkward.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I just watched it and thought the exact same thing. I could picture it: the whole family standing around the bed, arms around one another, slow-mo cheering from the parents, the clinking of wine glasses during the denouement, some deep, meaningful looks, a kid riding by on a bike. Maybe someone makes a basket and high-fives someone else. The usual stuff.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I feel strange bumping this three seasons after the last post in this thread because the show has evolved and become so much better. But everyone should be watching this now. Last night's episode was perfect. No show does four simultaneous and (mostly) unconnected story lines better.

In the first two seasons, the episodes only really worked when they converged at the end. Now, as we've gotten to know the characters and appreciate their challenges, they can keep everyone in their separate worlds and still function at an incredibly high level. This rivals Mad Men for the best drama I watch.

Side note: I am watching Friday Night Lights finally, and I really enjoy it through most of Season 1. But I can tell how much more evolved Jason Katims' plot and character building has become. Maybe he has a better writing cast for Parenthood. Maybe it's just that the actors are better. But it's a better show. (Edit: I have read FNL peaks in Season 4, so I will be patient before making that judgment. Also, my view will forever be clouded by the fact that I started watching Parenthood on the night of the pilot, when I had a random Tuesday off and nothing else to do, and have not missed one since.)

8. old_tony

Heck, I'm glad you bumped it. I haven't missed an episode of this show and I most definitely won't, either. Best cast on TV if you ask me, and they just keep delivering with great performances.

About the only thing I don't see as realistic is the completely introverted Drew getting the really pretty girl. But she is bringing him out of his shell.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

This show remains one of my favorites on network TV. I don't think I have missed an episode.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

On my must-watch list, too. I think its story lines are consistently compelling.

That said, it's going to be a little creepy to me if Lauren Graham and Ray Romano hook up.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

GREAT show. Glad to see NBC sticking with it despite lower ratings.

Slightly unrelated note: Lauren Graham just guested on Go On and had good chemistry with Matthew Perry. Should NBC be dumb enough to cancel Parenthood, Lauren might have a good side gig to fall back on. (Honestly, I hope Parenthood runs a few more seasons.)

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Its ratings are better than those of NBC's Thursday night comedies, including The Office.

Draft saved Draft deleted