1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Parenthood watchers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by blacktitleist, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still can't believe how glowing the reviews were for this steaming pile of shit. Yes, Lauren Graham, Peter Krause and Craig T. Nelson are huge television stars with great resumes, but there wasn't one thing enjoyable about the first episode.

It made Brothers and Sisters seem like a comedy. It also made me wish Dirty, Sexy Money had never been canceled.

2. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

Methinks Mizzougrad watches WAY too much television.

3. Mizzougrad96

Second episode was much better...

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

agree. and the scene sparking up a joint outside the school was pretty funny, especially the mom's reaction when she walked up.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed the first two episodes.

Lauren Graham is still hot.

Good ensemble cast. It will be worth following.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watched the first two episodes mainly due to the pedigree of the cast and I like what Jason Katims did with Friday Night Lights.
    But what a disappointment. Mostly due to the actors involved playing dumber and dopier than they've been in previous roles. It just doesn't work. Throw in the arch-types involved - the career woman, the irresponsible commitment-phobic son...
    I look at Friday Night Lights and it feels real (sure all the characters look like models) but there is a truth and honesty to the scripts. Parenthood seems like pandering and do extended families really all get together for every school performance and Little League game?

7. Mizzougrad96

I can already tell that I'm not going to give half a shit about Dax Shepard's character's storyline.

I gave the show a second chance because Krause can usually do no wrong.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

NBC has a similar show years back, "A Year in the Life" that was similar, yet much better.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

NBC had a similar show years back called "Parenthood" that was based on the same source material -- and was every bit as banal as the current attempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenthood_%281990_TV_series%29

10. KG

KG Active Member

I enjoyed it, because the life of almost every character on the show is messed up in one way or another. It's easier to relate to people that have problems similar to what many others go through.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I love this show so much.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I remember that show well. Not having been a viewer of Square Pegs it was my first exposure to Sarah Jessica Parker.

Draft saved Draft deleted