1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Parenthood watchers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by blacktitleist, Mar 3, 2010.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Great cast (Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, Craig T. Nelson) amongst others.

I thought the premiere was fairly good. Had to cram a lot into an hour so we could get to know the characters, but I'll give it a thumbs up.

I was a big fan of the movie when it came out, and I'm glad a lot of the creative team (Ron Howard, Brian Grazer) are still attached to the show.

I'm hopeful this show can become "must watch" for me. Seems my weekly drama fix has been longing for something good since "The West Wing" went off the air.

2. Re: Anybody Parenthood watchers?

I tuned.
    It was OK... They are trying to follow the movie - which I loved - and I am not sure I like that, because they are cherry picking from the movie.. either follow it or don't, don't mix and match.
    I mainly tuned in for Lauren Graham, hoping for Lorelai. No sich luck.
    Dio not like Dax Sheppard's character. He's about a beer away from playing his character in Idiocracy.
    There was one laugh out loud moment for me.
    I did not like the sweet sappy ending. Is that every hour is gonna end, with a family trip to the ball game?
    I'll check it out next week.

PS.. Who is the female lawyer? Is she Julia Stiles sisters? Was she the younger dauighter in the remake of 10 Things I Hate About You (or the 1990s version of the Taming of the Shrew)?

3. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

I think its Erika Chistiansen from Swim fan.

4. Yep. Thanks.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She was on some other show I really liked, but it was canceled very quickly a few years back. I don't remember the name of it, but Tom Brady's ex was in it.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The movie had the most poignant father-son scene ever where Jason Robards tells Steve Martin (who is I think mid 40s with what 5 kids?) that "[the father's] worrying never ends [about the son]" even though Steve Martin was a father himself.

I was mid 20's when I saw it and I thought that my parents figured I was an adult now and that their worrying was lessened. What an ignorant fool I was. Now as a parent, I wholeheartedly understand.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Any butt-weaving asshole can be a father.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup. i'm lucky enough to have both my 'rents still alive. i always tell them how much more clearly i've come to understand their craziness over my sister and i than since shockey heir one was born.

twenty years and two more sons later, i've come to learn more and more they will ALWAYS be my babies. and my heart bleeds for my parents, who i've put through hell the last few years due to my deteriorating health. feel like i've ruined what should have been their glory years of R&R.

9. Mizzougrad96

Watched Parenthood last night...

What an awful, dreadful show... I am a huge Peter Krause fan. I like Craig T. Nelson, Lauren Graham, Erika Christensen and Monica Potter, but oh my god what a boring, depressing show.

If Bonnie Bedelia had a single line in the show, I missed it.

They're portrayal of a kid with aspergers seemed pretty off. The kid was played like he was autistic. I have a cousin who has it and he basically doesn't make much eye contact and has no censor. He's also a Stanford grad and works for Cisco. I know there are varying levels of it, but it seemed off to me...

There was no humor to it whatsoever, unless you found the whole Mike O'Malley thing funny (I did not, and I like the guy).

I'm trying to think of a show I've hated more in the last several years.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Six Degrees.

Another show on the list of reasons why I don't like investing in shows, only to have them prematurely axed by their network.

11. Mizzougrad96

That might have been the season where there was Six Degrees, The Nine and Smith... I loved all three shows, I don't think any of them lasted six episodes.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

agree. looked forward to this show but the 1st episode bored me to tears.

Draft saved Draft deleted