1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any of your papers gotten a hand-written, 20-page Canadian nutjob fax?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 15, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It claims to have been sent from Calgary, Alberta, which squares with the 403 area code.

It was faxed into our office tonight ... twice.

It's 20 pages of mostly hand-written – scribbled, really – ravings about ... well, not to bury the lead, but the author claims on the the first page that Hillary Rodham Clinton is actually a "mentally sick Canadian man, known to be a man by every Canadian police offcer, military officer and news broadcaster."

It goes on (and on and on and on) from there. That HRC is a man is not the wildest claim contained therein, by the way.

The author says he's faxed this to "nearly every daily newspaper."

Ringing a bell with anyone?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Didn't check the fax tonight.

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I hope we get a copy of that.

4. HejiraHenry

I get the sense this, um, project has been going on for a while.

It's a shame he didn't know about "blast faxes."

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Reminds me of the time in college we got a missive from Bradley Smith, one of the wackos who wanted to buy an ad saying the Holocaust never occurred.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure, but I'm sure this isn't coming as a shock to anyone. I just wish JR or Flash had let us know sooner. I mean, most of Canada knew this, right?

7. Flash

Flash Guest

It wasn't me ... but I'd be wildly curious to hear the name of the signee ... initials M.T., by any chance?

8. Jims242

Jims242 Member

Will you fax it to me?

9. HejiraHenry

I'd prefer not to, although it urges me to fax it to others.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

About 13 years ago, I answered the main newsroom phone one night. Margaret Thatcher was scheduled to speak at some local college's graduation. The guy who called had a thick Scottish accent and he went on and on about how hated Thatcher was.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We got it, a week or so ago. I was alone in the newsroom when it came in -- i read about three paragraphs of it, and chucked it.

On behalf of all newspapers everywhere, allow me to respond, with all due respect:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It bears noting that if that fax had been sent by someone with multiple graduate degrees who used to work with the IMF and the Federal Reserve, then every word would automatically be true. So hold off on your scoffing until you check the source's credentials.

Draft saved Draft deleted