1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any of you ever dealt with this before?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Ace that stuff is great, here's the thing though it is a one-man fucking operation here. My Saturdays have had 8 different sporting events on them. I try like hell to hit all of them to at least show up and take a few pictures and be seen, but was unable on this day.
    And anyway, I'm not in this job to be loved.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

None of us is in this line of work to be loved. We're in it for varying reasons, No. 1 being that the eagle shits every Thursday and allows us to pay our bills.

But Ace's advice is accurate. Being seen making an effort to cover their schools and their sports gives you currency with coaches. It's what makes them more inclined to phone in their results to you at 6:30 p.m. instead of 10 minutes before deadline, and it's what motivates them to call you with the occasional news tip that they might otherwise direct toward a competitor.

Stuff like that adds up and helps make year 2 on the beat way easier than year 1.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The problem isn't any of the stuff you mentioned, which is little stuff that can always be worked out and improved upon in the future.

The problem is that your editor doesn't have your back.

Get that resume updated and start looking around.

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted