1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any new Asheville, N.C. advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 19, 2014.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's been four years since the last post on the previous Asheville thread.

We honeymooned there in 2004 and are headed back soon.

I've got Tupelo Honey Cafe on the must list - we missed it last time - and a guy I used to work with who lives nearby recommends The Thirsty Monk.

Open to other suggestions.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Asheville Brewing Co., Jack of the Wood, French Broad

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

12Bones. If you go for lunch, get there early. Real early.

Saw this recently, http://patspints.com/2014/06/10/hitting-the-asheville-ale-trail-part-1-wicked-weed-brewing/ it made me want to hit this place up. He visited, I think, four other joints, too.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Agree with him on Wicked Weed, where you could easily spend an afternoon and evening. Wedge is about a mile out of downtown, down in one of those riverfront industrial districts where they stick starving artists and call it regeneration, but it's got a nice vibe. Hit it on a sunny day, since you'll want to be outside.

Asheville Brewery has its own food, mostly pizza. I also liked Hi-Wire, which is next to an old garage in what basically amounts to a warehouse. Boiling hot, but the guy gave me a free mispour, so that won my affection.

Tupelo Honey was very good, but get there early or bring a newspaper and be ready to wait through a couple cups of coffee, at least on a Sunday. I didn't *need* the goat cheese grits with the sweet potato pancake ... but I was glad I did, and I damn sure didn't need lunch that day. Early Girl, likewise, was a fine breakfast. Sunny Point Cafe was another breakfast joint -- that's out of downtown, so you'll need the car.

And yeah, I ate a lot of good breakfasts. Decided early on that a big 10 a.m. breakfast was enough to see me through to dinner.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good call on Sunny Point Cafe. Ate dinner there the last time I was in town for work. Fried green tomato appetizer was incredible, as were the shrimp and grits for dinner. Big flecks of crispy bacon mixed into the grits. Heaven.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, the food scene seems to be covered. Make sure you work in some time to hang out in the downtown area where they have the impromptu percussion jams. Among the best free entertainment I've ever seen.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thirsty Monk is great. Go downstairs for a really good atmosphere. I thought Tupelo Honey was overrated. La Bouchon for a nice, quiet meal. Ashley's lobster ravioli was amazing. I had clams.

And you could spend two days there just on breweries. Highland is the best, IMO.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

White Duck Taco Shop over in the art district is quite good.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Funny thing, our waitress in Nashville tonight (at Tin Angel) used to live in Asheville - recommended Bouchon and Tupelo Honey.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I really liked Tupelo Honey. Rezaz was one of my favorites, both for dinner or the lighter bar menu. It's in Biltmore Village. 12 Bones is a great suggestion and do get their early.

It's not far on the Blue Ridge Parkway to Mount Mitchell - highest peak east of Mississippi. There's an easy short trail, I think just short of the top. If you go the other way on the Parkway it's not far to Mt Pisgah. There is a restaurant there with OK food and great views. I just liked driving on the Parkway.

11. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

12 Bones BBQ ...

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We thought Tupelo Honey was just OK. They had good biscuits, but I thought that was about it. Neither memorable, nor worth the wait.

I think it was Cucina 24, a little boutique Italian place on Wall Street, where we had charred octopus. I had a milk braised roast and Mrs. t_b_f had some bacon-wrapped scallops with pan fried corn. Decent, but not as good as Bouchon, for sure.

Barley's Taproom was great pizza and local beer. Beware of hipsters. Good food and great beer, though. You'd dig it.

And any chance to see where Crash Davis hit his dinger and hung 'em up is worth the opportunity. McCormick Field is a fun place and is the only Single-A park with in-seat food service I've seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted