1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Mormons here? Trying to clarify some terms...(unit/ward/branch)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 11, 2013.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

For anyone with knowledge of the LDS, can you please clarify the difference between a ward, a unit and a branch?

I'm in an area with three wards, I think, and a neighboring city has two, but the guy (a high councilor for something) instead kept referring to the 14 "units" in the area. Is this somewhat interchangeable? Like maybe a unit is a more general term for a ward or a branch?

Essentially, if I refer to these collectively, which term should I use?

(Story: LDS sending teams to volunteer in rebuild.)

Thank you. I didn't see "units" on the LDS site or Wiki, but that is definitely the word he kept using.

2. I am LDS, but I have never heard the word "unit" when it refers to our church. Not saying he didn't use it, just that I have never heard it.

A ward is a congregation, and is determined by where one lives. A city with a large concentration of Mormons will have a lot of wards.

A branch is just a smaller version of a ward. For instance, in my city, we have eight wards, and we also have one branch for single adults.

I am not sure if that helps. My guess is he was referring to wards and branches combined as units, but I can't guarantee it.

Any other questions, just holler.

Draft saved Draft deleted