1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any hope for drying out wet books?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Do you live in a town of 12 or something?

Every town I've ever lived in has used bookstores. I'm guessing you could find one.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you really should store those damned things for another 10 years without ever looking at them.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

That's the purpose of a high school reunion.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good links, JR. Thanks.

BYH, maybe this ends up well. I'd rather not remember high school. Period. I'd trade your books for mine if it were that easy. Life happens.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Happened to me about 12 years ago... basement flooded, sump pump failed, yearbooks and photo albums soaked.
    Some are nasty, some are OK, some are trashed. But I saved them all, dried them as beat i could and sprayed it with Lysol for the mold and mildew... They now sit in a plastic container because I can't bear the throw out my life before I was 18, no matter how fucked up it was

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Threads like this make me wonder if a few of those plastic storage boxes would be money well spent, not to fend off flood but also humidity for those in more moist climates.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I lost some books once, including a prized one signed by a friend, to an unexpected water problem. If they're not too bad and you get them quick, you can hair dryer (low), press pages flat, etc. If they dry on their own, well, there isn't much hope.
    I feel for you. I hate when shit like this happens. I replaced a couple of the books. Some I could not.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting method: Get them in the freezer ASAP.

http://theepicenter.com/tow05166.html

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Update: I spent most of the last two hours turning each page in the yearbooks (there's also a junior high yearbook of my wife's that I have to tackle next) and blotting each page with a paper towel. I've stood them up and have them on the floor with the ceiling fan above (obviously) and another fan aimed downward at them.

I am cautiously optimistic they'll survive with some character-building waterspots and crinkles. None of the signatures have faded (some melted into the next page, but you can read them just fine). I can probably get away with keeping them since I found them right after the flood. Had I waited a day or two, it'd be all over.

Thanks for the tips (tony, I actually found that freezer one online too). Hopefully this'll just be a scary, not painful, lesson.

In related news: We looked like dorks back then. And the girls wore clothes that covered their skin!

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Hey douchebag, tell the books you want to have sex with them. If they are female books, given your history, that should dry them up pronto.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What's so different now?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Excellent, good sir. Excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted