1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any hope for drying out wet books?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 27, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

An incredibly shitty month got shittier today, when the first rains in about six years flooded our basement. That would have been fine, because we're used to it and put all our important stuff on risers or in plastic containers. Except two days ago I went downstairs to look for an old book and left one box on the ground. I'm walking out and I'm thinking that I don't want to throw the box on top of the other precariously placed boxes, so I moved the box away from the door just in case of drenching rains. Which, of course, we fucking got.

So the box with our high school yearbooks got drenched. The books themselves are wet along the right side.

Is there any way to save these? Hair dryers placed above them for hours? I can't fucking believe I didn't throw the box on top of the other boxes. This has me inconsolable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your stupid fucking friend,
    BYH

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Go buy a dehumidifier ASAP.
    You can get them to where you can run a hose out the back and into a drain.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

We have one. Apparently one that's not that good, though.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, you don't want to blast it with a hair dryer, etc, it'll make the pages brittle.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Methinks you may be SOL, man.

Sorry, but I don't think there's much you can do.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry, I thought you meant get a dehumidifier for the basement.

I might try turning each page, hope that dries them up. They'll be crinkly, but it would beat the alternative.

I'm such an asshole.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would make a joke about this quote, but I can't imagine how awful I'd feel if my high school yearbooks suffered the same fate yours did.

It's not so much the pages themselves. It's the memories. I wish I had something concrete I could tell you to salvage those books.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm not throwing them out. Even if they're crinkly and damp, I'm not throwing them out.

I'd just like them to be in some kind of decent shape.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

#1 - You are not an asshole. It happens.
    #2 - I did mean that for the basement - yes it takes longer, but it's more natural.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This may sound odd, but if there are any decent booksellers in your town that sell "rare" or "used" books, I would call them. They oftentimes have to repair damaged books, and they might have a good suggestion.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a good idea, but I don't know of any used booksellers in town.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted