1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any hope for an inept sports franchise?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jsanmateo, Oct 22, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, there because there is true revenue sharing and a salary cap in the NFL, teams that consistently suck do so based on merit and teams that win consistently do so for the same reasons.

2. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Ooop, that Bengals team still made the playoffs. Have the Lions made the playoffs since Barry Sanders left?

And Cincy made two Super Bowls in the 80s. The Lions have made it to exactly one conference championship game. When it comes to Super Bowl era suckitude, Detroit even surpasses Cleveland (though the Lions may be better than the Saints).

3. outofplace

True. I disagree with you on some of the details (I still think they lose that game in '05 with Palmer), but now that I think about it, I have to agree with you on the overall point that the Lions are a worse franchise.

I will point out that no team has as many off-field issues as the Bengals. Plenty of teams have issues here and there, but it has happened so much with that one team, you have to wonder about the culture of the franchise. The decision to bring Chris Henry back after insisting they would no longer tolerate his bullshit does not speak well at all of the way the Bengals do business.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With the parity that exists in the NFL, no established franchise should ever go more than five years without making the playoffs.

The Raiders have enough talent that they could very easily be a playoff contender with the right coach.

The Niners and Lions both need to be drafting a QB this year. With the class coming out, this upcoming draft will be the time to do it.

With the Rams, maybe a new coach was all they needed. Haslett has done a great job so far.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, I see, so if you suck in the NFL it's because you suck, but if you suck in baseball it's because of the salary cap. Thanks.

6. TheSportsPredictor

And the two reasons for NFL parity: 16-game season and salary cap.

Look at Seattle, destroyed by injury. Colts have been hit hard as well. New England just scraping by as well. Last year's top offensive player and last year's top defensive player, Tom Brady and Bob Sanders, both out. Sanders missed most of the previous season as well. That changes everything.

And with only 16 games, teams can't afford screw-ups. Don't show up for a game against your division rival and you put yourself in a huge hole. No time to dig yourself out. A lucky bounce can change an entire season. Look at the Chargers. They fucked up their opener against Carolina, letting the Panthers score a TD on the final play. Then they were hosed by a bad call in the next game. Two games that swung against them, one against the team in first in their division. The Chargers will spend the entire season digging out from under the debris of those two games. They'll be lucky to survive.

7. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

I think you basically suck because you suck. It's far more difficult to suck in the NFL, though, given the matched resources.

8. outofplace

I guess I should give you partial credit because you almost understood. You are oversimplifying some things and getting other parts flat-out wrong. Let's try this again.

First of all, there is no salary cap in baseball. I know what you meant, but perhaps you should work on expressing yourself more clearly.

The NFL creates a more level playing field financially with the salary cap and revenue sharing. The NFL is also set up better to do this because so much more of the revenue comes from national television contracts. So teams, for the most part, succeed or fail based on merit. Of course, luck is also a factor in all sports.

Baseball has no such level playing field financially, so teams succeed or fail based on a combination of merit and revenue. The only question is how much is based on which factor.

I'm not sure whether you are trying to oversimplify things for your own comprehension or in a failed attempt to pin an argument on me that is not my own. I never said money is the only factor that determines success in baseball. If you're going to write about my posts, at least try to do so accurately.

9. TheSportsPredictor

So the Pirates have suffered 16 consecutive losing seasons because the Yankees spend the most money. Got it.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Raiders were in the Super Bowl just a little more than five years ago. The Rams were in the Super Bowl six years ago. Few teams in any sport had the kind of run that the Niners had for more than 20 years, granted it's been about 5-6 years since they've done anything of note.

The Lions? They just suck.

11. outofplace

Fixed

12. outofplace

By the way, the Pirates have sucked for 16 years because of a combination of three factors -- incompetent management, ownership that is not committed to winning and a financial system in baseball that puts small markets at a disadvantage. In their case, I think the first two factors are the primary culprits, but all three have played a part.

Draft saved Draft deleted