1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Hikers Out There?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. its been a while since my outdoors days like in the Boy Scouts. Its going to be pretty basic for now and work up to more strenuous hikes later on. Six week rotation for filming. My first stop is a Local Wildlife Management area, so that is probably going to be like half the show, with the nearby trail the other half.

2. KG

KG Active Member

I've been thinking of getting hiking poles for going up a few higher elevation trails in this metro area. I just need them until I'm in better shape. My knees really don't like me after I do those. I suppose if I were in better shape, it wouldn't be so bad. Plus, my asthma doesn't respond that well to uphill treks. My anemia also ends up giving me chest pains sometimes when I'm really working hard uphill. Good grief. I think I'm falling apart. At least I don't let any of it stop me from trying.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Will this be Aurora public access TV, by chance?

4. Bring a gun

Seriously - you may run into someone like Buck.

Bring a gun.

Oh and sun screen - I don't think anyone has mentioned sunscreen (or layers of clothes for that matter - remember the temp at the base won't be the same temp at the summit).

Fuck you Buck - you piece of shit

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

DA (Department of the Army) Form 1.

ALWAYS.

Just to put that answer in context. Right now, I'm enroute to one of the largest (wartime) military operating bases in modern history. I have three rolls in my ruck sack.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Always, always, always let someone know your plans, and check in if you change them.

Make sure your cell phone is fully charged and in a waterproof hardcase.

In addition to a snack, I always take one of those dollar packs of glucose in case I run out of gas on the trail near the end. Sometimes I overestimate myself and it doesn't take long to kick in.

Just for sheer comfort, keep a change of clothes and a towel in your car. Nothing sucks more than having to drive home for an hour soaked and covered in mud from a slip. Not that I'd know from experience or anything. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted