1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any good cheap mp3/media players that aren't iPods?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I don't know if it's still available but last week (through the invaluable slickdeals.net) I bought the one Pastor linked to for $35-$10 for using Google Checkout. Can't wait to get it. It has FM, voice recording (worth the $25 alone) and plays videos. Most of the reviews have been quite favorable.

You can look at slickdeals or Buy.com (which actually sold it) and see if they still have it. I'd do it for you but I'm on dial up and I think those sites would break my computer.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hey, we're already planning to keep Jessica Simpson away from Tony Romo for this entire week.

But it's good for you to have dreams. Keeps you young.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Fly. Be free.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I just checked some out and from what I gathered avoid Microsoft Zune, the software is horrible, and the Sony Walkman NMZ105, the stick one, no video, is pretty good sounding for the price.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Last year's Zune was a bust. The new one that came out about a month ago is getting rave reviews in computer mags, and Wired and PC Magazine say buy it instead of the iPod Classic. My wife's colleague just got one and loves it.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

First ten songs loaded onto BYH's iPod:

1. "Cum On Feel the Noize" - Quiet Riot
    2. "Midnight Maniac" - Krokus
    3. "Turn Up the Radio" - Autograph
    4. "Nobody's Fool" - Cinderella
    5. "Don't Touch Me There" - Tygers of Pan Tang
    6. "Top of the Rock" - HSAS
    7. "(You Can Still) Rock in America" - Night Ranger
    8. "So You Ran" - Orion the Hunter
    9. "Time Goes By" - Triumph
    10. "Don't Stop Runnin'" - Y&T

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Got my Sony MP3 player today and it is so easy to use. Adding songs is easy using Windows Explorer and dragging songs into the player's folder. No iTunes or some other program needed.

2GB is enough and the controls are easy to memorize and use.

I saw the new Ipod Nano and it looks sweet but I think I'm keeping this cheap one.

8. asu107

asu107 New Member

ditto on anything SanDisk

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I have a Zen Creative Micro with 6MBs that I got for $150 a couple years ago. Excellent product.

My eldest daughter has a SanDisk that's pretty good. 1MB for $40.

My youngest has an Insignia, 1MB for $70. We just got it going tonight and I was very impressed by it.

All three were bought at Best Buy.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love my Sony of my owny.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Must be a slow night over at www.sandiskcronies.com

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Have a 512kb Rio and do not recommend this brand at all. The first one fried under warranty and the customer service was dreadful.

More props for the SanDisk products. Have 1MB that doubles as a voice recorder. Simple to use. Only criticism is the time it needs to power up.

Have a 2MB Sony Walkman. Great little piece of equipment. Power up button and play button are the same. Easy functions. Only criticism is the software is a pain in the ass.

Combine the best of the SanDisk and the Sony Walkman and you have a winner.

Draft saved Draft deleted