1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any good cheap mp3/media players that aren't iPods?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 19, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

My wife offered to buy me the iPod nano for my birthday a few months ago. I turned it down, since I do most of my music listening in the car and I thought having satellite radio and an iPod would be frivilous (my dad would be so proud of my fiscal restraint, if he could only pronounce iPod).

Alas, my wife and I are going on vacation next month, and as our trip gets closer, I realize I dread the idea of being That Guy who is seen listening to a CD walkman at the pool. But it's too late to ask for an iPod for Christmas, and anyway, I'm still not sure I'd get enough usage out of it to warrant the investment.

I know there are many mp3 players out there. What are the odds I can get a very basic, very affordable one that I could use on vacation and, if I ever get off my fat ass, for jogging or biking? I just want something on to which I can download 50 or 75 songs...nothing too extravagant. yet I want it to be inexpensive enough so that it doesn't preclude me from someday taking the iPod plunge.

Any thoughts? Your input is much appreciated.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Check out Sony's new line. 2 gig to 8 gigs, very affordable. And easy as hell to use. Hell, I can use one.
  3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Buck, you upload the CD's back to itunes or you just rip 'em back onto your computer as MP3's? I thought you just had to get them back on the computer.
  4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Got it. Thanks.
  5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm a big fan of SanDisk (Best Buy.com). They specialize in flash memory and are the primary manufacturer of the flash memory used in the iPods. I have three MP3 players made by them, one is my wife’s, one is about 6-years old, the other about 1 year old.

I didn’t see my units listed there. I liked them for the fact that they took regular batteries which means that I don’t have to wait for a recharging station before returning to listening.

I just checked Circuit City while typing this out and they have this 2GB unit which is similar to what I have.

There is no need for iTunes with the unit. I plug it in and it functions like a flash drive. Each directory I have is a folder named after the artist and album and that is how the unit splits them up. It is about as simple as simple gets.
  6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I bought a Creative Zen over two years ago. It is sturdy, but only plays MP3s. No audio, but it works great with my Napster ToGo account.
  8. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's a Festivus miracle!

I mentioned to my wife today that I wanted to try and find a cheap mp3 player. I also remembered I have a $35 Best Buy gift card from my father-in-law that could go a long way towards buying the player.

We did a little websurfing and she asked why I just didn't get the really tiny iPod for $79. I said I didn't want that b/c a.) it's too small (where have I heard THAT before?) and b.) I don't want to buy an iPod and then upgrade to ANOTHER iPod. When I get one, I want one with video capability.

She said "Well, why don't you just get the iPod you want then?" I said this was not a passive-aggressive attempt to land me the Nano I should have accepted in September. She said she understood but why bother spending $40 or so (discounting the $35 gift card) to get something that I want to replace anyway. Then we figured I can just combine the gift card with the $50 I get from my aunt at Christmas and I'll be halfway there.

I informed my good friend Stormy of this and he said he'd donate as well (far too kind pal, though maybe you should repay me for being a patsy in your fantasy football league since '93). Then another buddy called and asked my wife what I wanted for our Secret Santa gift exchange. Add another $25 gift card to the equation and this is suddenly very doable without spending much of my hard-earned money.

So wheeeeeeeeeee...Nano Nano for me sometime after Christmas.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My guess is that you would have been walking around the Jupiter, Florida Howard Johnson's pool with a Walkman, not a Discman, BYH.
  10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You know what, I'm sick of your lies and your crap, Poindexter.

It's a Howard Johnson's in Fort Myers. So there.
  11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You should just give it to me after I beat you this week in the NIAFL championship game.
  12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Please, son. After I stomp you, I'm going to take your wallet and go to the store and buy me the Nano.

Stop drafting off my heat and have a very merry day before the championship game starts.
Draft saved Draft deleted