1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any golfers here with arthritis?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Sep 6, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The mustardwife has has JRA since she was 3, but wants to take up golf to get outside more often and spend time with me. She's got two hands full of artificial knuckles (but not the thumbs). Shoulders and hips have never been a problem -- knees are, occasionally.

Plenty of sites online are saying she can play with some minor club modifications and whatnot. I'm wondering if anyone here can give me some firsthand experience on whether or not it's a good idea.

2. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

I've had arthritis for the past five years or so that's pretty much disfigured my hands, but I'm still able to do stuff without much pain, including playing golf. It affects my neck, back and shoulders sometimes as well, which makes golf a little more difficult, but a couple Advil and Yuengling make it fine.

There are special golf gloves that are designed for people with arthritis called Bionic Gloves. I've seen them advertised in arthritis magazines and have some good reviews, but I've never actually used them.

I'd say get out there if she can. Being active helps me when my arthritis is bothering me. Plus, it's a built-in excuse for playing bad.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

When my grandfather's hands got arthritic in his later years, he had the grips built up on his clubs so his hands didn't have to wrap around them so tightly.

Draft saved Draft deleted