1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any educators out there???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

My daughter brought home an invitation to apply for the Duke TIP program.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this is a legitimate entity or not?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It appears to be something run by Duke University ...

http://www.tip.duke.edu/

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Our daughter was in TIPS. It provided recognition and an opportunity to meet other sucessful students.

She might have done more with it if we weren't half a country away from Duke.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I remember that ... Talent Identification Program. Doesn't cost anything, IIRC, and part of it involves middle schoolers taking the ACT. Definitely worth a go, and it might net her some scholarship dollars in the future.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's legit, Simon. I was in the Duke TIP in 6th or 7th grade, can't remember -- and, like TB said, they get to take the ACT (I think I took PSAT instead). Great way to measure yourself.

If it doesn't cost anything, let her sign up. Pretty cool deal.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You're probably better off just getting the local paper to run a lot of stories, headlines and photos of you child.
    If they don't, just explain to them that they are hurting your child's chances to get into college.

7. I was in that program. Can't say it hurt things.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

It is. But preference is given to kids from New York, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles.

So you guys are fucked. :D :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted