1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any education questions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Dec 17, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As I was posting on the Memories of a Kindergartner thread, I realized that I might be of some use to many people on this board. You see, two of my three college degrees are in education. I also gave up writing to work in an administrative capacity for a large school district. No I am not a principal, but I am qualified to be one. I also have a handful of years in the classroom.

I know many of you have kids in school, and you might have questions about why/how certain things are done. Look at me as free advice.

I know some of you might think I am an idiot, but trust me, I know a fair amount about education's laws, rules and regulations. That includes special ed.Think of me as an unbiased advocate.

Fire away or PM me any questions you might have.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Is our children learning?

3. 93Devil

Sometimes too much. Sometimes not enough.

4. KG

KG Active Member

OK, can you explain how my roommate's son missed four out of 20 spelling words on his test and made a 40 for the final grade? I didn't look at it, but he was talking about it last night and it made absolutely no sense to me. What kind of grading scale is that?

5. 93Devil

No clue. Did the student take it late? 40 is half of 80 which is what 16/20 is.

If you have a photocopier at home/work, photocopy the quiz then staple the original to the student's agenda/homework book/whatever their school calls it and just ask for a quick explanation of the grade.

Be nice. Honey gets you a lot better response than being mad.

Better yet, send the teacher an email. Most teachers prefer emails since it saves time (you don't have to find the number, find a phone, wait for you to get to a phone).

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What do you think of a college professor who gives a student a C on a 45-page paper that followed every requirement of the assignment to the letter. But yet gives a student who turns in a 65-page paper on the same assignment a B when that student did not follow all of the requirements of the assignment. The professor's excuse was that the B student's answers were "more complete" than the other student's answers.

(Yes it happened way back when I was in college)

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What about an eighth grader who seems to really have a beef with a teacher?

My son -- who admittedly chats too much and probably drives her crazy -- is always saying how his math teacher will do things like forget to give him a copy of a sheet she is handing and he will go to her desk to ask for it and she is on the phone and tells him to go sit down.

So then he says she is off the phone and notices him not doing his worksheet and asks why he didn't ask for one.

I hear stories like this every other day.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Preschool program before age 3 (sometimes called a "Twos Program")... Good idea or not?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I always think: How would my parents have handled it?
    For example, if I missed four out of 20 words on a spelling quiz, my parents first response would not have been 'Why did the teacher give you a 40?'
    My parents first response would have been 'Why did you miss four words on a spelling quiz?'
    If I told my parents 'The teacher's got it in for me,' they would say 'Why? What are you doing to make the teacher dislike you?'

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm just misspellin' words, Ma!

11. 93Devil

Writing is a subjective topic, and it's the toughest thing to grade. There is no rhyme or reason to why someone thinks something is good or bad, or if a paper followed the rules or not. I mean how many of you use a topic sentence in your paragraphs?

One teacher will dock you a letter grade for turning a : to a ; on a reference page, while the next one could care less.

Never take a writing grade to heart. This is from someone who failed English 101 his freshman year. No lie. I flunked it.

Sure grammar and punctuation are straightforward, but style and voice? It's like trying to get people to agree on Geddy Lee and Rush.

12. 93Devil

Has he ever had a beef with a teacher before?

If not, then you probably got a crappy teacher. Should you change teachers? No. I am 100 percent against changing teachers.

Some teachers (old school) really do not like kids that talk a lot in class. Just the way it is.

Is the kid getting a bad grade?

Try this, although he may hate it. Have the student send an email to the teacher (blind copy it or CC it to you) and apologize for talking in class and state that he really wants to do well and for her help. Say that he promises to pay better attention when things are being handed out, and he enjoys school much more when they are not at odds and he is doing well.

That should work.

Draft saved Draft deleted