1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Durango owners here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 22, 2009.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Considered one back in 2000. A friend ran the shop at the local Dodge dealer.
    But they are V8s and got about 12 miles per gallon. Ended up with a V6 Explorer, 18-20 mpg. Still have it with 150k on it.

2. Wallace

Wallace Guest

I have a 1998 Durango, and I love it.

I do miss the gas mileage my '88 Honda Accord had, but I love my Durango. Nice and spacious. I don't have kids yet, but it's got plenty of room in the back seat for little ones.

Truth be told, I take care of mine, and it does get pretty decent mileage for an SUV. The wife drives a good "travel" car, so any long distance, we don't have to take the Durango.

Plenty of storage room is a plus, as is the ability to tow. A fun car to drive!

3. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

I've got a 2000 and I abslutely love it.

Just passed 100,000 miles on it too. I got it just before the Mrs and I started reproducing, so it's been quite handy for the kiddoes now.

Very spacious, love that mine has the third seat that can fold up for more storage space.

Gas mileage is about what you would expect for an SUV...14-15 in the city, 17-18 on highway.

I've got a V-8 and am pretty sure I have an 18-gallon tank. (I know I should know this, but it has never really mattered to me)

Knock on wood, I've had no major mechanical malfunctions. I've put in a new battery and new tires since I bought it in 2003.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Got a 2004, and I've been happy with it. Had to replace the front brakes, as is common with Chrysler SUVs (my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the same drama). Otherwise, it's been plenty fine.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Big recall on the first-generation Durangos and the second-generation Dakotas they were based on, both of which have been replaced since then.

Production on the current model ceased at the end of CY 2008 because Chrysler closed the plant.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

My sister had one, and the worst thing she experienced was her brother's teasing her about its status in Michigan as a "station wagon," which was something she had vowed NEVER to drive. It cost a lot less to get plates for than an SUV, so she was on board for all of that.

She loved her Durango and bore the jokes with good humor. I drove it as part of a long trip a couple of times and I liked it fine.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

One of my buds has one. He has a lot of stuff to haul around because he's heavily involved in community theatre, and he's loved it. I think it's about a 2004, and recently he's had problems with it overheating. He told me a mechanic told him it was a common problem with the Durango engine that starts showing up at about 85,000 miles. I've driven it a time or two and it's a very heavy driving vehicle, and it doesn't get very good mileage. But it does come with that third seat, which is handy for family trips.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Interesting. I test drove one today -- a 2003 with 85K. The engine light stayed on constantly throughout my trip.

9. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

I was going to suggest a 4Runner instead, but when I saw your year and price point, no way are you going to find a 4Runner to fit those criteria.

Maybe a Honda Pilot? Or a Nissan XTerra?

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Go on craigslist and do a search for VW bus and see what you find ....

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Xterra, possibly. Pilot, probably not, unless you'll take on major league mileage. That usually goes at a higher price point. I test drove and seriously considered both before I bought my Durango (though I was willing to spend $15-17K on whatever I got).

Possibly the Honda Element?

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Chances are, that VW bus will not be in the city in which it's listed. It'll be owned by a Marine getting ready to deploy to Spain "to help improve our relations," and he needs to get rid of it quick. But I can only use PayPal or eBay to process the payment. But it's all on the up and up.

Draft saved Draft deleted