1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any coin collectors/numismatics here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 2, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Quick question for any coin collectors or numismatics here.... how has the market been the last few months/years? Have the coin prices been trending upward or downward?
    Thank you.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Collect, but can't really help you on the market in general. Anything in particular you're looking to buy/sell?

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

This might help if you've got something in particular you're looking for a price on. Realize, though, that prices you'll find are likely the prices YOU'LL PAY when buying, but not the prices you'd get if you were selling.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/

4. EStreetJoe

Have a coin collection that I haven't looked at in many years I'm considering selling. It's a combination of mine, my brother's and my late father's. I thought about selling it when I inherited it six-plus years ago, but never got around to getting the appraisals or selling it. Now that I'm getting ready to move in a few weeks, I figure its time to sell it. But if the prices in recent months have been trending downward, I'll wait until there's an upswing.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The site I posted will give you trends from the last 14 days.

If you're talking about gold, then there's reason to watch the market. If you're talking about silver (and A LOT) of it, there's a little bit of reason to watch the market, but not as much.

If you're just talking about a helping of assorted old stuff (in other words, the average collection), the market probably won't really matter to you. What you get likely won't change from one month to the next. You'd have to hold it for several years to see any kind of change.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://allcoins.org/

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Unless you're really getting sick of it - or you're moving and trying not to worry about that among other belongings - I'd probably hold onto it as long as I could.

I'm not a numismatist. My stepfather is ... it's been interesting to watch some of his acquisitions do pretty well.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And it will depend on the condition and scarcity of the pieces you're wishing to sell.

Generally, like everthing else, the prices go up a trickle every year. But how much value you get depends on the individual piece, it's scarcity and its condition.

Mostly, gold pieces -- especially $20 gold pieces -- go up more each year. There are some Morgan silver dollars -- especially those minted at Carson City or New Orleans -- that increase more than those minted in Philadelphia. But they don't go up as much as you'd think.

Love to hear some of the stuff he has. PM me if you want.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Same here. If you're so inclined, cc me on that PM.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've held an 1839 two-dollar gold coin in my palm. It was about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Guy told me it could go for about $7,000.

If you have Confederate money you're looking to sell, forget it. Isn't worth jacksquat (not unlike 1864).

11. EStreetJoe

Birdscribe and Mustard ... in the next day or two I'll send you guys a PM.

Draft saved Draft deleted