1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Cigar Smokers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jul 23, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If you can find anything in the Victor Sinclair Bohemian line, you'll get a very smooth experience for a fair price.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I like Olivo's, not too harsh but with good flavor; they have different "Series";

If you can find a La Gloria Cubana, its a nice smoke, not too expensive.

A more full-bodied smoke without breaking the bank is the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur.

If you're in a cigar bar, here's a nice combo, get a snifter of cognac and then dip the end and take a draw, smooths out the draw, really nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Same here. I was part of the cigar craze like a lot of dudes a decade or so ago. Even had a Cigar Aficionado subscription. But after getting married, it faded.

Couldn't go wrong with Macanudos or Punch.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A great cigar can be a great experience, but I would never smoke one in my house or a friend's house, and now you can't smoke in bars in my state (fucking smoking Nazis). That pretty much leaves the golf course or sitting on the deck, which eliminates seven months of the year.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I can't tolerate indoor cigarette smoking but one of the enjoyable things about Cuba was that you could light up a cigar almost anywhere. I started smoking what the locals smoked when I was there for about $.25 a piece. I am by no means a cigar expert but found the local cheapos really good.

We built a new house last year with a West facing deck and I find myself craving a cigar while watching the sun set.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A smelly affectation that has thankfully faded away.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Like swing dancing, a short-lived fad.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

La Gloria is not the cigar it once was when it was produced in a small shop in Miami. Their Robusto
    Wavell had a bit of a cult following. The only way to get them was to go to the shop or get someone on
    the phone , give them your credit card and 2 months later a box would arrive with your cigars. The guy who brought the brand to Miami Ernesto Perez-Carrillo sold it to General Cigar who now mass produces them in the Domincan and they are no near as good.

The Montecristo # 4 is good if you are starting a revolution. It was the favored cigar of Che Guevara.

My recommendation is to look for an Ashton Cabinet Selection cigar. I like the # 6 which is a shorter
    thicker cigar. Thicker cigars tend to provide a richer flavor. I prefer the shorter cigars unless I have 4 hours on a golf course. No sense spending the extra money on a Churchhill size cigar if you don't have the time to smoke it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted