1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

any car repair experts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Leo Mazzone, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

i'm sitting in the parking lot of the hospital where my girlfriend works and my truck won't start. it's turning over but won't catch. any ideas in the 45 mins before the tow gets here?

2. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

never mind. it started.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Starter, most likely. In the old days, you could go out there with a hammer or screwdriver and bang the celluloid in starter and you would be good to go.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Since you said it was turning over, I'd say fuel pump.

I have a lot of experience with that, unfortunately.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're right. Misread it. Fuel pump/line or electrical to injection.

6. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

thanks. they're telling me it's the coil used to spark it. hopefully cheaper than a fuel pump.

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Had nobody responded after the first two posts of this thread, it may have gone down as one of the most awesome threads in SportsJournalists.com history.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Now that, I laughed at

9. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

True. It started long enough to get me to the shop. They couldn't find the problem in the short seven hours they had today. I think I'm taking it somewhere else in the morning.

10. You can tell if its the fuel pump pretty qucik.
    Turn the key, but not to the starrt position and listen for a hum or whirr... If you hear it the fuel pump is working.
    A car not starting could be a number of things.. If it is turning over is it likely not the starter or at least the cellnoid... the part you hit with a hammer to make it turn over.
    It could be a fuel pump, a spark plug, even a fuel filter .. lots of possibilties.

Draft saved Draft deleted