1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Canucks watching the Liberal Party Leadership Convention?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 2, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.cbc.ca/

CBC probably has some video clips.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Never heard he is, but then again that's something he'd wanna keep low.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He comes from a family of academics.

I doubt Celine does.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

In a family of 29 kids, or however many there are in her family, you'd think there's at least one smart one. You'd think.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, Double J, I know you're a big Harper supporter but what do you think of Dion being Liberal leader?

Personally I think it's the absolute best choice. He'll have spend some time wooing the Western vote but his credentials are impeccable and more importantly, he's a staunch federalist in the Trudeau mode. The Conservatives are gonna be in big trouble next spring.

My take is that Canadians will return the Liberals to power.

Harper's sucking up to the Bush administration, his revisiting gay-marriage --which Canadians don't care about--and his attempts at dismantling Liberal programs such as Dryden's National Day Care initiatives won't sit well with voters.

And as smart as Harper is, he's no match intellectually for Dion.

"

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

At a reunion in September, my old university buddy -- former Martin speechwriter/journalist Scott Feschuk -- predicted a Dion victory.

Very impressive.

You know what, jr, there seems to be a great deal of opinion that another Quebec-born Liberal leader is a bad choice. That's not due to any anti-francophone sentiment, but a feeling that after the sponsorship scandal, Harper can bring out the "Liberals are more of the same" propaganda that so badly hurt them in the last election.

Plus, Dion will be portrayed as a guy who won because the delegates couldn't hold their noses to vote for Rae/Ignatieff/Kennedy (this time). My prediction: the next Liberal Prime Minister of Canada will be Gerard Kennedy.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Too bad Frank McKenna didn't step up. He'd have walked away with the leadership and would likely have cruised to a majority government. I certainly would have backed him.

See, JR, it's not necessarily that I'm a Harper supporter. I was for anyone who would rid us of the old, corrupt Liberal regime. I was also highly turned off by the fear-mongering tactics used over and over again to discredit Harper and to deflect the voters' attention from the governing Liberals' many failings. I believed Harper deserved a chance to show what he could do.

Having said that, I disagree with a lot of the crap that's gone on since he took over. The PMO has just as much power as it did under Chretien and Martin, if not more. Government MPs have zero freedom of expression, as Garth Turner and his constituents found out. The Conservatives wailed loud and long over Belinda's defection but, hypocrites that they are, saw nothing wrong with luring David Emerson over to the government benches. We've got another cabinet minister who sits in the bloody Senate and isn't subject to facing his critics in the House of Commons. Quebec as "a nation within Canada" is an absolute joke when you consider that there are hundreds of areas that could make the same claim of distinction with an equal amount of validity. I could go on.

Unlike 98.6 per cent of the members on this board, I'm not tied to political ideology. I want the best people governing our lives, whether they're Liberals, Conservatives, Rhinos, whatever. I just want accountability, honesty and fairness in my political leaders. Apparently, though, that's far too much to ask of any politician with a realistic chance of governing in this country and in this province.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hi Elliotte

My take is that Rae couldn't take Ontario and Ignatieff was like the Chicago Black Hawks--a finite number of supporters. That's why those two lost.

I don't know a lot about Dion but from what I've seen or read, he's absolutely bullet-proof when it comes to the sponsorship scandal.

In retrospectI agree with you about Kennedy. The party weren't ready to hand over the throne to him but if he does as well as everyone expects in the next House (presumably in a high-profile Cabinet position), he will be the next PM. And he carries the traditional Liberal party values pretty well. Nothing phony about him and he's apparently a pretty good hockey player.
    What's not to like? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted