1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any buzz on Google Buzz?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Feb 16, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I got the notice of Google Buzz a few days ago, but didn't have time to play with it and hid it.

Any impressions so far? I'm not inclined to try it right now - wondered if I was missing something.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It has gotten hammered because of privacy concerns. They didn't do a very good job of testing it -- the bypassed the trials they typically do with external testers first and really screwed it up. Among other problems, it shared your e-mail contacts with people you didn't add to your social network and tracks your location when you do anything and it is available to others.

Google has a giant war room with engineers trying to do on the fly fixes to it, according to one thing I read. They really screwed the pooch on it, though. I disabled it on my gmail account; wanted no part of it.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why use google buzz. Fbook is better and likely has more of your contacts. It also doesn't publicize your e-mail contacts.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When you log into your gmail account, toward the bottom of the screen, under a line in small print that says, "gmail view" click on the link that says "turn off buzz."

Draft saved Draft deleted