1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Alt-Country fans out there?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Sep 25, 2010.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Outlaw Country, Torch & Twang, Americana, Alt-Country...whatever you like to call it, any fans?

Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Vigilantes of Love, Hank III, Billy Bragg, The Jayhawks, Old 97s, Son Volt, Whiskeytown...anyone?

My buddy is a huge fan and I am just getting into the music myself...so I am learning the genre as quickly as possible.

A new fave, if you haven't checked him out: The Tallest Man on Earth. Good stuff.

2. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I've seen the Old 97s, and really like Wilco, though I don't really consider Wilco alt-country so much.

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I realize that statement sounds sort of stupid, since Wilco basically evolved out of Uncle Tupelo, which I do classify as alt-country. I still don't put the current/recent Wilco stuff in the same category.

4. spikechiquet

True, but I also like alt-country inspired rock as well, so I threw them in there.

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Fair enough.

I'd throw in Drive-by Truckers and Lucero if you're looking for more good music. And the Gourds.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Truckers are awesome. They've lost a little of their fastball lately, but you won't find many better albums than Decoration Day and Dirty South. Also, check out Jason Isbell, former guitarist for DBT, who has put out two solo albums in the last couple years (Sirens of the Ditch and a self-titled album).

And if you really want to get into alt-country, buy the Gram Parsons anthology. And the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I like a lot of stuff in this wide-ranging genre .. Old 97s, Jayhawks, Waco Brothers, Son Volt, Whiskeytown, etc., etc.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am outraged that Ryan Adams is not mentioned yet. But at least Whiskeytown is.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Umm yeah.
    the real jay farrar. Uncle tupelo. Sonvolt. Whiskeytown along with ryan adams and his various side projects. Jayhawks.
    dbt. Jason isbell. The everybodyfields.lucero. gillian welch, oh lord i could go on for hours.
    go to last.fm and punch up whiskeytown and just check out all the selections.
    you

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I heart BR5-49, but I don't think they're even remotely similar to any of the other bands here. Sorry.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Not sure if they're true alt-country, but Cross Canadian Ragweed is awesome.

12. spikechiquet

Thanks for all the extra suggestions. Once I sober up from the litany of Octoberfests I drank tonight, I will enjoy tracking down some songs...

Draft saved Draft deleted